Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so I've searched all over and haven't found the answers I need. I bought a 97 explorer with an auto and 5.0 for 500 bucks today runs and drives just needs a new windshield. Anyway I plan on swapping the motor into my 67 fairlane (I know this is the mustang pages but I figured I would get more answers here) but I'm a little confused on the computer aspect. I know the differences with oil pans, headers for the gt40p heads and timing cover and balancer. But I've heard people say you can use the explorer computer and others say you cannot. If anyone knows anything about these swaps please let me know. I plan on using an aod trans from a 91 cougar thank you

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
unfortunately i know nothing about computers, but i can tell you that if you are going to build a performance engine, you need to mill the heads to around 58 cc's due to the low compression.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
... I plan on swapping the motor into my 67 fairlane (I know this is the mustang pages but I figured I would get more answers here) but I'm a little confused on the computer aspect. I know the differences with oil pans, headers for the gt40p heads and timing cover and balancer. But I've heard people say you can use the explorer computer and others say you cannot. ...
Using the Explorer computer depends on if, and how, you are changing the engine from what it was, and what you expect the computer to do. Just changing to a front-sump oil pan and Fairlane headers? Using the Explorer O2 sensors or upgrading to a wide band O2? No sweat, and a little tuning to tell it that some of the odd readings it will see are OK. Much more than that and it becomes too custom for the EEC to handle on it's own. So, what and how are you expecting for changes?

David

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on keeping everything stock for now, I'll be using the explorer o2 sensors. It won't be for a while before I actually do the swap though so in the meantime I might keep my eye out for a fox. I'm not building anything for performance, just a weekend cruiser that I want the reliability of fuel injection

1 - 5 of 5 Posts