Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone convert their stock drums on an "8 to Explorer discs on a 9" in a '65. Want to know what I'll need before I get into it. They are already on the new 9 just in case you were wondering.

Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
well the explorer swap is usualy for the big bearing nine inch so it wont swap onto the 8" but you can use caliper brackets from a crown vic and whey will work for you

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My question was a poorly worded. The Explorer brakes are already on a complete big bearing 9" that I will be installing. You are correct in your answere.

Just wondering what troubles I might run into. Will the stock lines work? What master cylinder and proportioning valve have people used with success? I currently have a dual resevoir master cylinder and adjustable proportioning valve from an old (around '96) SSBC front disc brake kit that I still run. Anyone have any experience with this combo of brake parts?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has the 8" still in it and is able to be driven around. I'm trying to avoid pulling the 8 to install the 9 just to find out I have overlooked a bunch of parts that I need. I hate to have the car siting around unable to be driven. Then again that is a reality of this hobby!

·
Registered
176 Posts
oh ok well i did this swap and i used a stock granada master cylinder from a power brake car but im using it as a manual brake master cylinder i installed an ajustable prop valve but ended up not needing it after all it worked fine with out it i had to make new lines to the prop valve and was able to reuse the line going to the rear of the car and then bought brake hoses from the explorer and fixed them to the axle and then made new steel lines on the alxe housing

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent! Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts