Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading somewhere that the 289 had a weight that went on the front of the crankshaft right behind the timing gear. The 289 I bought this weekend was out of a '65 mustang, and it doesn't look like it's ever been rebuilt, but it doesn't have that weight on it. Do I need that weight for my engine to be balanced right, or was that something that's only on special 289s? Mine has '65 heads and I was told it was out of a '65 stang. The head casting #s are C5AE, and it has flat-top pistons with no valve reliefs and also has hydraulic lifters. That's about all the info I have on it right now.

Also, while I've got your attention, I was looking for an affordable set of forged pistons, and found the Summit rebuild kits for about $380 that include Speed Pro forged pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, etc.. Are Speed Pro pistons any good? I plan on building this for around 9.5:1 compression, using World Products Windsor Sr. or Jr. heads, a Crane Magnum 282 solid cam, and an Xcelerator intake. Stock bottom end with ARP rod bolts. I figure it should be good for the occasional 7K rpm burst, but nothing more than that or the bottom end will probly come apart. Would Speed Pros be alright for my setup?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
the weight was only on the k-code 289's I believe. In any case it's novely, not needed if you rebuild with todays balancing technology (i.e. get the rotating assembly balanced.)

The summit kits are nice and a good deal. Beware however, the speed pro pistons have huge valve reliefs, on both sides off the piston. This makes it hard to get a good compression ratio, especially with a big cc head like the 64cc World Sr.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so just make sure I get the crank balanced and I should be fine.

I thought about the compression issue with the bigger head, and because of that I might end up using the Windsor Jr, which would net me around 9.5:1 with the Summit rebuild kit. They also have a kit that makes 11.61:1 compression with 54.5cc chambers, which would probably be close to 10.2:1 with the 64cc chambers on the Windsor Sr. heads. But, that kit costs $200 more than the others, and that's a little higher compression than I want. I think the Windsor Jr. heads will be big enough for what I have in mind, and the gain in compression will probably be enough to offset the top-end loss from the smaller intake port. And, bottom end should be much better with the higher compression and smaller port.

One more question: what should I get for a harmonic damper? These things are way more expensive than I thought they would be, but I don't wanna go cheap and have one come apart at 6500rpm, hehe. Does the 289 take a different damper than a 302? What damper would you guys recommend for a semi-budget buildup?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Get a balancer Depending on what you plan to spin the motor too. The hipo 289 balancer (Mustangs Plus sells them I belive) is a good price, and a beefy unit that will work fine to 6500 rpm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts