Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of following all these damn class rules that some of these racing bodies set up.

I wanna go fast now and I'm sick of making comprimises to my car to fit their rules!

I wanted to run the Nostailgia classes of the NMCA that call for stock front ends to be in the car.

I was doing some figuring today and came up with some real problems trying to get any decent header to fit in the Falcons shock tower cramped bay?

Then to top it off the old linkage steering that is on the car is not the most accurate feeling set up you can get.

I was going to just convert the car to a TCP rack set up but,after I looked into the set up from them I saw that it buys no more room at all for headers?

In fact the TCP rack kit looks like it take up more room under there than the stock stuff does?

So I talked with my fab guy tonight and we decided to "screw all those rules" and go to town on the car and make her the total performance package!

I will be upgrading to a coil over sprung Mustang II set up. It will use HAL coil overs and Aerospace front brakes to match my back disks.

I found a picture of a set up that is a lot like the one I will put in my car.

It's a front steer rack set up that accepts off the shelf headers and will also have a very strong and modern front brake system.

This set up will buy tons of room for the big headers and also will give the car rack steering.

There will be no shock towers at all in the car with this set up,we will use the stock radiator support and run down tubes from the roll cage into the new front end.

So in closing I finally feel like the car has come "full circle" no stupid shock towers,no comprimises made to the car to follow rules!

I will keep you guys up to date with the swap, I will take pictures of the old stuff coming off and the new stuff going on.

65 Falcon Sprint "White Lightning 408-W"
66 Galaxie 500-XL 428 4-speed "460 on the way in 2003!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 6/21/02 12:27am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 7/9/02 2:18am ]</font>

·
Registered
557 Posts
Danm Tom! are you made of money or something?
I mean, how many projects do you have in full swing now? You got that big Galaxie, your Falcon, your truck, your Mustang, and a Police car! (if I remember correctly!) Anything I left out? If you concentrate on one car, it will be sweet!
I guess Im just jealous!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No this front end just makes sense for the car?

I can explain.

I have all new pieces on the stock style front end right now. all that stuff cost about $600. Now figure in the parts for the Granade disk conversion and your about at $850?

Then figure in the TCP rack set up at $1000 and the total would be $1850.

The set up I'm looking at will run about $2400 and that's all new coil overs,uppers,lowers,brakes and the rack!

So you see that for only a little more than I have in the old stuff I can have a much better set up?

Also don't forget that the new set up can use "off the shelf" headers not some cu$$$$$tom made units that would have been very comprimised in design to fit the chassis.

Another advantage the new set up will have is spark plug and header clearance not to mention real race brakes and a real nice front rack set up.

So I hope to sell off the factory type suspension and gain some the money back for the new stuff?

Makes sense hey?

P.S. Stanley, I only have the Galaxie, Falcon and truck now,the cop car is long gone and the Mustang is gone this weekend (hopefully?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 6/21/02 12:30am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have been doing some more checking and figuring today and it looks like this new style front end will hold many advantages for this car.

There are tons of headers available that would now work for the Falcon with the new front end and even if we decide to make our own it will be very easy to do.

I also found alot of info that says these types of rigid front frame members do not really need a motor plate to mount the motor.

We have to get the new set up in and then figure out if it will get a plate or not?

This set up will really give the car a new feel and also be easy to work with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 6/21/02 6:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Good for you Tom. Man i just couldnt put up with the shock tower bit i had to loose them you wont regret it. I cant wait to drive mine except im still having trouble getting a crank. You wont beleive how easy things are going to work on with them gone.

·
Registered
522 Posts
DynoTom, What do the current rules have to say about a straight front axle? I have pictures of, and have seen early Facons with axles from Econlines. These make the car set up high and look killer. I envision doing this someday and wondered what the NHRA would have to say about it.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Good move Tom. Are you going to fabricate all or have you found a manufacturer? If you need a hand sourcing, let me know as I have a blast sourcing parts for Doug's(OTW) shop"Off The Wall Chassis & Components". Send me a message using Dougs "OTW" user name as I monitor his messages daily.
Any help I can, just let me know.
Fred

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fred & OTW, I will take any and all ideas you guys have for this front end swap!

Give me all the ideas you guys have for the best set up.

I guess we were gonna hand fab the front end from scratch to make it fit just right but,even if we go that route we can use any and all ideas as guides?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Tom
There are so many manufacturers of clips. You will notice I am editing this post quite a few times as I find places for you, I will hopefully put urls here.
Here is 1 for some of you with older iron that just want to change from drums to disc.
http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/

Sorry gang...I don't have too many cats here at home. Come Monday morning, I will list ALL the manufacturers that we deal with. Tom, if you want some real good technical advice, you may want to call Morrison and talk to them.
http://www.artmorrison.com/
or check out
http://www.streetrodengineering.com/mustangllifskits.htm

There is NO substitution for Cubes
1954 Mercury Pick-up Blown 525 BBF
alternate E-Mail: [email protected]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blown54 on 6/22/02 10:41am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2002-06-24 00:11, Blown54 wrote:
Tom, if you need a few ideas, e-mail me tomorrow at
[email protected]

maybe I can help you a bit with some tech info.

Fred, I will be adding this front end over this winter.

I just wanted to start the "brainstorming" process early so I would not leave out any ideas about what the car could have.I like the way those front ends look from Morrison!

I guess the only things that I know for sure about the swap so far is that I want to use Strange Coil overs and Aerospace brakes to match the stuff I already have on the car.

I have to do this car in stages as the money comes in. The rear tubs are done now and the 10 point cage and interior is ready to go.

I know now that the front end that's going in will make a big improvement over the stock stuff and feel better at high speeds.

I will be looking foward to any ideas you guys have to help me out with the new front end.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fred & OTW or anybody, what is your opinion on setting the engine back in the chassis?

I'm having the whole front end made so I guess I could put the engine anywhere in there?

I would even take the firewall out if I had too but,I would first have to be convinced it would make the car faster to have the engine set back.

I don't want to set the engine so far back in the chassis that I could'nt run the stock dash in it.

Would the engine set back help make the car faster?

Like I said before all of these qusetions are just ideas so when we are ready to cut at the car we know exactly what we want it to be.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tom (other Tom that is)

You NEED to set the engine back to make this work... the header room won't improve much since the Mustang2 control arms are still as far inboard as the stock ones. You need to run the headers over top of them, or move the engine behind them. The other problem is clearing the oil pump... it needs to be behind the rack, as sitting the engine high enough to clear the rack would look goofy.

The third thing is weight transfer... Mustang2 suspension is gonna lessen the front end travel, coil overs are gonna really limit it... it would be tough to hook with a front heavy car with only 2" of up-travel.

I had a 65 Falcon convertible with a 427 in it i did that to. I used the stock Pinto (Must2 stuff is just heavier) crossmember and set the engine back so the balancer was behind the rack... the firewall was flush with the back of the dash and the tranny tunnel touched the lower edge of the dash.

It's a lot of changing, sometimes better to sell the car you have and start another one to recoup some of the investment. Projects like this tend to get carried away easily.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes it seems like all the guys I have talked to so far seem to think the set back engine is a big advantage.

I know what you mean about a project like this getting carried away too!

I want it to be a real complete package car that can really be fast and streetable.

I have the 66 Galaxie 4 speed car now so I can take as long as it takes to figure out the Falcon just right.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Setting back is allowed in your class as long as #1 is in line with your shock tower / coil-over. Nice thing over the Chebbies is we don't have to alter firewall (much) for distributor clearances.
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you Tom as I am fighting with the Workers Compensation Board..trying to get money out of them been 8 months @ $165 (CDN..about $105 U.S.) a week...can you say "Like Fries with that today?"

We have a call in to NMCA for updates on front suspension. Reading the class rules, there are a few gray areas that we may get you around.

Fred

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.