Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My F250 is lifted about 2". The kit was put on before I got the truck. Now I have a problem with wear of the out side of the front tires, because it is like -/. I have talked with some tire people and the said put it back to stock higt or get the I beams bent. What is the easy way or can I get a kit to lower the I beams??

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
A good loft kit for a twin I-beam Ford would have come with brackets to lower the mount point for the I-beam. Either lower it back or get the brackets from someone like Rancho, Rubicon, or one of the other 4X4 manufacturers out there. DO NOT EVER bend the I-beam, it will get weak & break... been there, done that!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
What year truck is it, some of the earlier stuff can be bent without problems, and some of the newer stuff can be adjusted through the ball joints if the guy at the shop knows what hes doing.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sounds like you just have blocks to lift it up, which is ok for the back, but bad for the front, it moves the tires but not everything else, so you've got a crazy amount of camber that you dont want

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a '71 2x4 and for me it look like the I beams is cast iron??, that's why I'm not happy with the bending thing. They put blocks in the rear and new spring in front to lift it that do give me a bad camber.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 71s were made to be bent for alignment. have done many back when they were the common trucks on the road. KB

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try using a caster plate to adjust the missmatch, It's a very typical thing with the ford trucks, with the IFS.

The IFS will do this if the lift is 4" or more, because it has lifted the truck past the stock degree that the Ibeams allow for. The expensive way to fix it, allows for more wheel travel, and uses a drop bracketed attacted to the top of the I beam pivots, thus lowering the entire unit.

The cheap way to fix it, talk to a good alignment shop, and look into caster/camber plates, these have the ability to adjust the angle a little.

Hope it helps.. I've done a little building, and lifting.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Theres so many cheap ways to lift a truck, but if you wanna do it right, it costs a lot of money. Those blocks or springs look tempting, but too many things can go awry.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
71 huh? I'd like to see it someday, Im in vegas as well. AS far as bending those beams, it should have forged beams like my F-350 and as such can be bent. The ones that cant say right on em in BIG letters, DO NOT HEAT OR BEND. I've got an entire disk brake front for that truck if your interested. Bolt em up, have em bent to fit, and you'll be set. I even know a good shop to go to. Need any parts for that thing, gimme a shout. I spent a long time collecting parts for the 73-79 trucks, and a lot of the stuff I have will interchange. I need some space in my shop badly, so if ya need somethin, please ask!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts