Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I've got a Falcon with a 2.80:1 rearend and a T10. The 2.80 was great when I had a 40 mile freeway commute, but I moved and now it's 6 miles of surface streets :tup:

In the next year or two, I'm gonna go T5 and an LSD 3.80:1, but in the mean time, I was hoping to pull a 3.25:1 8" pumpkin from a junkyard so I can stop cooking my clutch at every stop sign. Also, I say 3.25 b/c I see 3.00, 3.25 and 3.40 available in that range from the aftermarket...not sure if Ford had some other factory ratio in that range.

I know how to decode the standard Ford differential tag, and I know how to spin the pinion and count tire revs, but I was wondering if anyone knew what Fords (or Mercurys) commonly came with 3.25s?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
There was also the 3.50:1 ratio. It's a crap-shoot as to what was in what, but my inclination is (especially for early years), the smaller the engine, the deeper the gears. In later years (mid-60s+) it was all over the place. There seems to have been a general trend for snowy locations to have a higher (but still uncommon) percentage of limited-slip diff's.

David

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the really tricky part is that junkyards never have "real" classics anymore. If I actually find what I'm looking for, it's probably going to come from a Mustang II, Pinto, Bobcat or some other 70s malaise-era turd.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
True, but I think the general formula of power:weight ratio and auto trans/ tiny engine still applies. I check every car door tag at the 'yard, because you never know. My Aunt had a little Pinto wagon with the base 4-cyl, and it had two juicy pieces - the valuable C4/I4 bell-housing, and a set of 3.80s with Trac-Lok. Too bad it wouldn't get out of it's own way even with that. She floored it to redline on every shift and still slowed traffic... LOL. Went pretty well in the occasional SC snows, though.

David

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Aunt had a little Pinto wagon with the base 4-cyl, and it had two juicy pieces - the valuable C4/I4 bell-housing, and a set of 3.80s with Trac-Lok
Whoa...bet it didn't take long before the diff by itself was worth more than the whole car.

dirgession
...although, to be honest, I'd love to build a Pinto...specifically a 2-door "Cruising Wagon", complete with a 2.3 turbo out of an SVO Mustang. But I'm weird like that...
/digression

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
digression
...although, to be honest, I'd love to build a Pinto...specifically a 2-door "Cruising Wagon", complete with a 2.3 turbo out of an SVO Mustang. But I'm weird like that...
/digression
Well, I'd call that a "good" weird.

David

·
Registered
100 Posts
Back in my younger days (remember the Super Shops when a Holley 600 cost only 60 bucks) I went through 3 Pintos all with 302, C4, tunnel ram, N50 rear tires and 4.63 gears. Can't tell you how many times I got pulled over and even kicked off the streets on cruise nights.

Always wanted to stuff a 460 in one !!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Madscience,
3.25:1 was a standard ratio in the 62 Fairlanes with 3 speed trannys. Have one in mine that I would like to swap for something lower (3.90 - 4.10) as I have installed a 302 with AOD. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I got a 3.20 ratio out of a 63 falcon 4 door..It had a 260 with a 3 speed manual trans.....The 3.40 gear was available in mustang IIs particularly with the V-6 which is kinda rare..

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
dirgession
/digression
Late 70's early 80's I had a Pinto panel wagon w/ a 289, TopLoader 4-speed, 8" rear, very loud side pipes and a big honkin' snorkel hood scoop. Was funny how all these people in their 4-cylinder Shelby Daytonas always wanted to run me...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts