Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back again to pick some brains!

Here's what I'm dealing with. I'm putting a 68 390 in my 63 Country Sedan wagon.

Car has power steering and still has column shifted three speed.

I have mismatched set of factory long tube headers. Left side is early style (C3casting) and right side is later style (c5 casting).

Wanting to know if I can use the set as is or can I expect fitment issues.

Oh, the heads are standard C8AE-H.

Thanks, in advance for any advice or information.

-RBR

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
You will have a clearance issue with the Z bar on the driver's side as 427's used a different Z bar than 352-406's. You can modify the Z bar you have to clear. Don't think the C5 passenger's side will fit as Ford changed the frames in 65. I used shorties on my wagon and didn't have a problem.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't know if it is true or not, but I was told that the long tube cast iron headers won't work on cars with power steering. The shorty cast iron headers will clear all the power steering parts.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Oh, the heads are standard C8AE-H.
some of those heads have diffrent bolt patterns at exhaust ports....
make sure they match up...
you may have to weld .drill.and retap new one's

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to say thanks to those that have replied so far.

I've seen posts here where the long tubes fit power steering cars so I think I okay there.

Also my heads have the vertical bolt pattern so the fit to the heads should be okay.

My concerns are:

1. Fitting with column shift 3 speed
2. Late RH header fitting to 63 frame.

Again, thanks to all.

- RBR

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Don't think you'll have a problem with with the 3-speed linkage, just the Z bar for the clutch. I tried C5 headers on my 63 406 way back in 67 and they would not fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts