Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone knew where I could find a good CD receiver that would fit into the factory stereo slots in the mid to late 60's Ford radio slots (without cutting the dash). You know, the ones with two knob holes on each side of a center rectangle.

All of the receivers I've found are tape players and they aren't that good. I was hoping to find something with at least 4X40 watts per channel and a preout for an amplifier. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
672 Posts
I would just get the original one, or one that fits without cutting, and put it in, but don't hook it up. The go with a din sized unit, and put it in the glove box, or under the seat. Just make sure it has a remote.

Or else. go with an am/fm cassette with a cd changer. But I don't think those have a preout for amps.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
In my 66 mustang (don't know if this can apply to your car or not) I have my radio under the dash to the very left (driver side of car). What had to be done is the E-brake handle had to be rotated vertically. I really like it here, its not only hard to see but no one but me can change the station.

In my 65 mustang, the radio is in the glove box (nice mounting bracket was made for it). It is nice here because no one can see it. The only problem is that you can't reach it very easily, but like the other guy said, thats what remotes are for.

Chris

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas. I thought about the glovebox but I change CD's pretty frequently and that's the one thing a remote can't do -- unless I get 10 disc shuttle or something.

I like the idea of putting it on the left. I assume thats done with a generic under dash mounting kit? Do you ever have the problem of accidently kicking it when your getting out?

·
Programmer
856 Posts
No mounting kit. My dash had a little hole for a screw, underneith it. So I just got some zip ties and tied it to the bottom of the dash. Tacky yes, but you can't see them, and it's rock solid. What I also did was get a metal bar and screw it on the driver side air vent tube, then hook it up to the back of the radio. I can take a picture if you would like. The front of the radio is flush with the bottom of the dash. You know, so you don't see the top of the radio, just the front.

Oh and about kicking it. I have never once kicked it -- I don't even have to try and avoid it.

Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 66stang on 2/12/02 1:03am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

You can just see mine in this shot. It is under the dash, right below the stock radio. I have a plastic thingie that goes on the front of the radio, and screws into the bottom of the dash.

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 2/12/02 1:18am ]</font>

·
Programmer
856 Posts
here is mine...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks really clean. I really like that idea and it does no permanent alteration to the car. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts