Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gents and Gals.
I just put a MSD 6AL ignition in my 85 5.0l 5spd coupe and need help with hooking up the factory tach. I have a MSD tach adapter to install, I'm just not sure which wire in the wiring harness powers the tach. Any help would be great. Thought I'd ask the knowledge base here. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I wasn't very clear in my question. I am looking for the tach wire in the factory harness from the Duraspark box to the dash panel. I unplugged the box and taped off the connectors. Once I've located the tach feed, is the tach adapter even needed? Or can I just run a jumper from the tach output to the harness connector?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I've done it both ways...
In my '83... it didn't need the tach adapter when I first installed the MSD 6. Drove it that way for a few years. Then I pulled the engine, installed a few choice parts - bigger then crap, it was reading funny, I was about to scrap the factory tach - put in a after market unit, but I really wanted to keep the stock-look.

Finally remembered about the tach adaper. Installed it and started reading right again.

So, the wisdom I can impart is, it doesn't need the adapter ... until it does. ;)

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
.... By the way, the '83 Mustangs had those "stupid" 85 mph speedometers so, ... "While I was in there" ... I took advantage of the opportunity to change over to the SVO, 140 mph speedometer at the same time.

Those early, 4-eye Mustangs were lighter, faster than the later models. They make great street rides. In my opinion, the more stock they look - the better. I tried very hard to keep the TRX wheels but it wasn't in the cards ... the metric tires cost way more than they were worth, only came in two sizes - I think they stopped making them in the early '90's.

I did change over to dual exhaust, Hated losing the Chromed, Fake factory y-tips... so I had the tail pipes ceramic coated, black - until motor is running, most folk think it is a 6 cylinder. ;)

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.... By the way, the '83 Mustangs had those "stupid" 85 mph speedometers so, ... "While I was in there" ... I took advantage of the opportunity to change over to the SVO, 140 mph speedometer at the same time.

The best part about the 85 MPH speedo is . . . " Do you know how fast you were going?" "Yes officer, I was going blank." lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts