Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen. I have a 68 Torino with the factory tach and a vintage single hit Mallory CD box. I do not want to risk damaging the tach. Has anyone installed one of these units on a similar set-up? Yes, I have contacted Mallory and their answer was indeterminate. Regards. John--Las Vegas.

·
Registered
779 Posts
John; I think more information is needed. What distributor are you using? Do you have Mallory CD instructions? What are Mallory CD terminal wire identifications? As you know the OEM tach is current triggered and is connected to the positive terminal on the coil via a resistance wire.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I am using a Mallory double life distributor, stock coil and have an old Mallory 28600 Super CD. The instructions make no mention of having to alter the signal. Yes, I am aware that the tach is current triggered. Thats the crux of the question, The CD unit pulls a bit more current than the stock ignition--albeit in a much shorter time. Those tachs are a rare item and I am reluctant to risk any condition that I am not aware/cognizant of. Best regards. John.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts