Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
You sir are TRYING MY PATIENCE!

Often I reply when questioned like this that goes against all mathematical and physical equations to come to a stop while accelerating! It Cannot Be Done! :D :D :D

Now I will say that the normal STOPPING distance while going from 60 to ZERO MPH :D ;) Is about 120 feet + - 15 feet depending on temperature of road, brakes and skid control.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
FE,
When I saw the thread topic and the fact that you had responded, I thought "This is going to be good". THANKS for not disappointing me! ROTFLMAO!!

Prolly pretty hard to get to 60mph with the brakes on.

Steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But you're asking about an 88 not a 2013 Stang. Did you appreciate the answer or not? It's correct to within 10 feet I assure you.
I was just wondering if there was a big difference between the two cars as one is 4 disc and the other front disc rear drum. Was curious how much of a difference on a $37,000 2012 Must. GT and a $16,000 1988 GT.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
The Difference is MORE in the suspension system than in the braking system it's self, although 4 wheel disc is fantastic, 4 wheel drum have an incredible amount of stopping power, but if you use them more than a few times you get brake fade from the heat build up that disc brakes dissipate at a far more rapid rate.

The suspension alone from that 2013 Stang transferred to a disc drum setup would likely yield very close to 106' stopping distance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Difference is MORE in the suspension system than in the braking system it's self, although 4 wheel disc is fantastic, 4 wheel drum have an incredible amount of stopping power, but if you use them more than a few times you get brake fade from the heat build up that disc brakes dissipate at a far more rapid rate.

The suspension alone from that 2013 Stang transferred to a disc drum setup would likely yield very close to 106' stopping distance.
I would have thought there would be a big difference since now these new Mustangs have bigger rotors and come with Brembo brakes over the older 1988 fox Mustang 5.0.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
On Cold brakes there is NO SUBSTITUTION FOR SURFACE AREA.

Cold for Cold a Drum Brake setup has more stopping force than Disc Brakes. There is no arguing about 32 INCHES of friction surface versus 9 Inches of friction surface.

But that's just me. Make more than two hard stops on Drums and you get a large percentage of brake fade, and Disc brakes fare MUCH MUCH better in this area.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On Cold brakes there is NO SUBSTITUTION FOR SURFACE AREA.

Cold for Cold a Drum Brake setup has more stopping force than Disc Brakes. There is no arguing about 32 INCHES of friction surface versus 9 Inches of friction surface.

But that's just me. Make more than two hard stops on Drums and you get a large percentage of brake fade, and Disc brakes fare MUCH MUCH better in this area.
Then how big of a difference in braking between a factory 1988 Mustang GT and a factory 2012 Mustang GT in feet?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would have thought there would be a big difference since now these new Mustangs have bigger rotors and come with Brembo brakes over the older 1988 fox Mustang 5.0.
You would be right, a big difference, (well depends on your definition of big)
1988Gt braking distance 60-0 168feet
2012Boss braking distance 106feet

The 2012 boss stops 62 feet sooner, about 37% better than 88??

The Boss has front: 14" rotors, Brembo 4 piston. Rear: 11.8 rotors, and high performance pads.

88 GT, Front 10.8" rotors, rear 9" drums

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You would be right, a big difference, (well depends on your definition of big)
1988Gt braking distance 60-0 168feet
2012Boss braking distance 106feet

The 2012 boss stops 62 feet sooner, about 37% better than 88??

The Boss has front: 14" rotors, Brembo 4 piston. Rear: 11.8 rotors, and high performance pads.

88 GT, Front 10.8" rotors, rear 9" drums
Thanks for the info.

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Arabian where did you get the 168 feet numbers at?
From Road and Track Test/comparison. They compared the 87 GT with 87 Iroc. Since the 88 GT was unchanged from the 87 GT model,
(same car except Cali models got a mass air sensor.) numbers should be the same.

Your post where the difference was only 14 feet got me curious. I thought in 24 years ford only knocked 14 feet off the braking distance of their Mustang? IMO that wouldn't say much for Ford so I looked around a little bit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From Road and Track Test/comparison. They compared the 87 GT with 87 Iroc. Since the 88 GT was unchanged from the 87 GT model,
(same car except Cali models got a mass air sensor.) numbers should be the same.

Your post where the difference was only 14 feet got me curious. I thought in 24 years ford only knocked 14 feet off the braking distance of their Mustang? IMO that wouldn't say much for Ford so I looked around a little bit.
I do agree with you on this 100% such a long time has gone by the distance should be greater but I did read somewhere on the 88 5.0 GT it is something like 168ft to stop from 60 to 0. The Boss 302 at the same distance is something like 106 ft. Even the standard Mustang GT of today must stop better than the older fox Mustang 5.0's.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Put the wheels and tires from the 88GT on the 12' Boss 302 (if they would fit) and you would see a HUGE gain (not loss) in stopping distance. Modern tires are night and day better than what was available in '88. Also the 88 GT weight is LESS than a 12' Boss 302. So tire technology, tire size, ABS and chassis advancements have allowed a heavier car to stop in a much shorter distance.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I've driven both, OK the older one was a 90 GT that my dad had. There is no comparison. One guy I took for a ride in the Boss said after I illustrated the braking, "hold on while I pick my eyeballs up off the carpet!" Most people are as impressed or more by the stopping than the 12.4 at 117 accelleration.

Dad's old 90 GT didn't have good brakes at all. I'm not surprised it was 160+ feet. Also the old car had I think 225's on it while my Boss has 255's in front and 285's in back.

The Brembo brake package has rotors that are over 14" in diameter and are 4 piston. The pads are huge like my Super Duty as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts