Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Put the wheels and tires from the 88GT on the 12' Boss 302 (if they would fit) and you would see a HUGE gain (not loss) in stopping distance. Modern tires are night and day better than what was available in '88. Also the 88 GT weight is LESS than a 12' Boss 302. So tire technology, tire size, ABS and chassis advancements have allowed a heavier car to stop in a much shorter distance.
What is the weight of a 1988 Mustang GT hatchback with 5 spd. manual with most options other than the T-top?
I would think that the Boss 2012 model braking would not be as good with the 1988 tires compared to the 2012 model because as previously mentioned the improvement in tires since 1988 and the fact the 2012 has Brembo brakes and are larger in size than 1988.
The 88 was fast in its day and a lot more simple of a car compared to the new Boss which I like also. I would expect a big diffeence in braking as the brakes in the 1988 5.0 are inadequate even back then.
The 1988 is alot easier to work on yourself. Distributor, cap, rotor so easy to remove and replace. Spark plugs not bad to replace, fuel filter..maintenance is very simple.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've driven both, OK the older one was a 90 GT that my dad had. There is no comparison. One guy I took for a ride in the Boss said after I illustrated the braking, "hold on while I pick my eyeballs up off the carpet!" Most people are as impressed or more by the stopping than the 12.4 at 117 accelleration.

Dad's old 90 GT didn't have good brakes at all. I'm not surprised it was 160+ feet. Also the old car had I think 225's on it while my Boss has 255's in front and 285's in back.

The Brembo brake package has rotors that are over 14" in diameter and are 4 piston. The pads are huge like my Super Duty as well.
I agree. Just like the difference in driving a new Corvette compared to an older model Corvette.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
New mustang has ABS I would presume. I don't think the 87 did. That would make a pretty big difference on a hard stop test depending on the ability of the person who has their foot on the pedal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
New mustang has ABS I would presume. I don't think the 87 did. That would make a pretty big difference on a hard stop test depending on the ability of the person who has their foot on the pedal.
With ABS you slam on the brakes hard with old school cars just the opposite you want to avoid slamming/locking brakes up.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts