Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 1963 Fairlane and for some reason the other night the headlights decided to stop working... the tail lights and park lights were still going fine, so we travelled down the road a bit futher and flicked the indicator on and then the lights started going again.

Can someone pleeeease try shed some light on my situation as i have to take some people to a school ball on Friday night and dont particulary want to loose my headlights again :)

Regards Daryl

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Could be the headlight switch. Sometimes they heat up(especially when running halogen) and then cut out till it cools off, then the lights come back on. Then when it heats up again you loose lights again. It starts off slowly, but after a while will cut out more rapidly untill you finally have no lights at all. You said they went out when you turned on thr blinker? Could be something else or just a coincedence. Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can give you better insight as to whats going on.

Matt

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Check your grounds but a bad dimmer switch will do the same thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys, got stuck into the car last night and gave any connection i could find a good clean up. also re did the earths and removed dimmer switch (the wires on this were pretty bad) and gave it a clean up.

I noticed also the two main wiring harness plugs coming out of the fire wall were basically half unplugged so that probably wasnt helping the issue, they are now cleaned up and plug in properly.

Thanks to everyone for your help on this it is good to have such a helpful community on here especially when i am all the way over in New Zealand.

Fingers crossed it goes ok tonight, I will be sure to let you all know how it goes.

Once again thank you all :)

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I would also replace the dimmer switch as mention. Cheap to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts