Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
im trying to see what everyone's doing for their suspension?
is everyone replacing bushings or getting NOS stock parts.
also what is everyone doing for their lower control arm/ball joint.
i've seen lower ball joint replacement and whole control arms.
from what i've heard/read its best to get a whole new lower control arm as the lower ball joint is usually riveted in.

thanks jet for the info on PST.
now i just need to know what i should order.
both the kits have stuff i dont need as i already replaced them.
like upper ball joints and outter tie rods.
can i get away with just bushing kits?
any info will be appreciated.
thanks,
sixtyfive500

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
First of all, before you buy check out Rock Auto Parts on the internet. They carry a bunch of old Ford suspension parts for the best prices I have found. If the tie oid ends, center link, idler arm metal parts are all in good shape there is no reason to replace the whole part if you can get bushings and grease cover caps. many times the actual ball and socket will be in good shape and just needs cleaning and re-greasing. Lower control arms are another story. The riveted ball joints are almost impossible to remove. I tried it with an air chisel and got no where. Luckily, this was on my Mustang and whole replacements were only $40 a piece. Since the Mustang's suspension was derived from the Falcon, I'm betting many of the parts available will fit all three cars. Try looking in NPD's Mustang catalog to see if any of the parts show Fairlanes as well. e-Bay is another good choice.
Good luck!

·
Registered
203 Posts
You never stated what year. I had problems with my 66 when I bought my kit. The inner/outer tie rods hit each other before they would align right. They still needed like 1/4" adjustment in. I bought 67 MOOG parts and never took it back to the shop yet. Not sure what the problem was. The 66 tie rods are unique and I think the short ones were too long in the kit I got.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

hey thanks everyone for the reply.
my vehicle is a 1965 fairlane 500 HT.
sorry about that everyone.

palerider as for that kit i dont need majority of the parts in there as my hard parts are still good but just need to replace the bushings.
(just a bit hard to find the bushings now.)

also for the front suspension, i am having the hardest time finding front shocks for it.
i can find all other years but mine for front shocks.
are the fronts interchangeable with other vehicles?
closest thing i've found for the front is the KYB KG4515.

im thinking of getting 4 of these kits for my control arms.
Black Urethane Front Control Arm Bushing Kit Ford Fairlane 1962 1963 1964 1965 | eBay

what do you all think of that?

also will be getting the idler arm bushing.
Moog K8042 Idler Arm Bushing | eBay

i've already replaced the upper ball joint,outter tie rods,and adjusting sleeves.

also is there a way to replace the lower ball joint?
and thats if i find a lower ball joints first :( .

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Dad & I went with PST on his 64 and were VERY happy with the bushings in the kit. Kanter is another option for you. As far as shocks go, I've read I believe on this site, someone matched up at Dodge Truck like a Dakota to the 62-65. Sorry I can't remember more, but maybe that will give you a start point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just want to say thanks to everyone that had input on this.
i ordered inner tie rods from kanter
lowest price on tie rods that i was able to find.
also ordered front and rear KYB gas a just shocks with the parts numbers provided by link.
and a idler arm bushing with 3 sets of control arm bushings.
i couldnt find any info on how many sets i needed for it so i ordered 3
1 for the lower control arms and hope the others is for the tops.
also need to get new sleeves for a granada since the disc brake conversion.
for some reason the granada is a bit bigger then the fairlane's stock one.
so going to try a granada sleeve instead.
will update after the parts get here and hope its good enough for a alinement.
once again thank you all for the info. :D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sixtyfive: Have you sourced the Granada bits & pieces yet? If not, DO look at the Sacrebird front disc brake conversion for the 62-65's, its much easier to source, alignment is closer to stock & replacement parts,when you need em, are as close as your local parts store.
If your a member of the Fairlane club of America, & anyone building a Fairlane should be, look at the site for info on the Scarebird set up & lots of other great Fairlane info, parts & like minded Fairlaners.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sixtyfive--forgot to mention, if you are going the Granada route, that sleeve to adaptF;lane to Granada tie rods is available from Mustangsteve;s site

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sixtyfive--forgot to mention, if you are going the Granada route, that sleeve to adaptF;lane to Granada tie rods is available from Mustangsteve;s site

hey roger thanks for the info.
as for the scarebird conversion, i rather get the granada conversion as my local parts store dont carry my stock fairlane outter tie rods so its best for me to get the granada conversion.(may not be for others)
also i really dont like the brackets the calipers bolts too.
looks fragile for brake components.
also as for the sleeves the ones at mustang steve is not what im looking for.
if my local parts store carry my stock outter tie rods i'd be all over those but they dont so granada's is what i have to work with.
the sleeves im looking for is the one that connects the inner to outter tie rods for the toe adjustment. (think im right on this).
looks something like this:
Moog ES426S - Adjusting Sleeve | O'Reilly Auto Parts
going to try to granada sleeves when the bushings and shocks come in.
i cant wait :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
I`m rebuilding the front right now and have discovered that the lower ball joints in the kit I linked to on ebay booth lowers the front about 3/4"(or don`t fit the spindle correctly?) and seems to be weaker than the more expensive balljoints from others like Car Parts Discount:

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/

Replaced the drivers side two years ago, allready a bit loose..

Since I don`t trust the durablity of newer reproduced parts too much so I`ve bought a pair of lower ball joints from Mercury Meteor for $35, fine old parts w. grease-cup down under;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I`m rebuilding the front right now and have discovered that the lower ball joints in the kit I linked to on ebay booth lowers the front about 3/4"(or don`t fit the spindle correctly?) and seems to be weaker than the more expensive balljoints from others like Car Parts Discount:

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/

Replaced the drivers side two years ago, allready a bit loose..

Since I don`t trust the durablity of newer reproduced parts too much so I`ve bought a pair of lower ball joints from Mercury Meteor for $35, fine old parts w. grease-cup down under;)

thanks for the info.
im still waiting on my inner tie rods from kanter's auto and KYG gas a just shocks to come in so i can install them and see what else i need to stiffing the front up.
also can u get me a link to the lower ball joints you bought?
i want to try them out for 35. compare to $79.00+ each for the replacement parts.
also any one have the number to kanter's? seems like their web site is down for couple days now and want to see where my package is atm :D.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi everyone,
as promised a little update after the install of lower control bushing,idler arm bushings,and front shocks.(still waiting for inner tie rods from kanter but they took a hit in the storm)
WOW what a difference.
parts that i used is the following.
one set of energy suspension lower control arm bushing: 4.3131G
idler arm bushing: MOOG k8042
front shocks: KYB KG5404
rear shocks: KYB KG5517
outter tie rods: ES445RL (GRANADA DISC BRAKE SWAP)
inner tie rods: (kanter part number) 03354J
tie rod adjusting sleeves: ES426S (GRANADA DISC BRAKE SWAP)

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OUTTER TIE ROD AND ADJUSTING SLEEVE PART NUMBER IS FOR A GRANADA DISC BRAKE CONVERSION.

hope this helps others out when its time to redo the front suspension.
i know its not a full list but its a good start so if any one has part numbers to add please pm me and i'll add it to the list.
try to keep the list for 62-65 so there's no confusion.
also will be adding more part numbers for the rears when im at that point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts