Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what k-member mods are necessary when going from a 6 cylinder to a 5.0 v-8 set up on the fairmont/zephyr? i've heard that mods to the k-member are required when doing this swap.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
There shouldn't be any mods necessary... The 289/302 are only 70 pounds heavier than an inline 6...
Kind of like keeping the straight 6 and having a fat chick in the front seat... You'll hardly notice.

Unless it's an oil pan clearance issue which is unlikely...

FE

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Oh they are very different. But only in the motor mounts themselves. All the others holes, a-arms, R/P mounts are the same. You have to swap out a 6 cyl one for any other. 2 members where used, straight 6 cyl and all others. Easy bolt in setup. Any Fox Stnag stuff fits also. I have a tubar D&D K member and A-arms I need to sell. Problem is I can't ship it for a few months. email me if interested. I also have a 175# coliover setup and BBK caster plates, brand new, never used. And a limited time offer, spindles and 5 lug rotors, too. Blue light special on Isle 5.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
i did this swap in a 7Z zeypher and changed nothing other than the engine mounts

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
dacofa is correct. The I6 K member is the odd ball. The 4 banger and V6 V8 ones are the same. Stu

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I've heard of people modifying the 6 cyl. to fit a V8 but imo its not worth it, there are tons of these cars at salvage yards (the secret to building one is now out) you could just snag a 4cyl. or V8 subframe from a Fairmont or a Fox body Mustang.

I went with the D&D tubular Mustang setup to mine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well it looks like when i do the engine swap i'll have to try and see if it fits or if it does not. i have access to a wrecking yard if all else fails. thanks for the input guys!!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
On 2007-01-09 16:11, ZephyrZ7 wrote:
I've heard of people modifying the 6 cyl. to fit a V8 but imo its not worth it

that's what I did. It was VERY simple. I had to cut off the front part of the motor mount "ears" as they are much longer front to rear than the V8 or I-4 K members are....on one side, the oil filter hit, and I believe on the other side the fuel pump was hitting (belt pump) so we just trimmed them off. At first we used stock 5.0 engine mounts but now we have a pair of custom solid mounts that we just made here at home. The 5.0 mounts aren't quite a PERFECT bolt in, but very close. Ours was originally a straight 6 ('78 Futura 250/C4). Even the headers clear...but just barely in some places, and they are 1 3/4" hookers, which BTW, actually fit better than the Hedman 1 5/8". Plus, they're about .1 faster in the 1/8 mile. Combine the headers with alky injection and a Victor Jr intake, we picked up close to a half second in ET and nearly 7 mph. Went from 7.20's to mid 6.60's.

The I-6 K member WILL work, but it ain't a direct bolt-in affair. The 4 cylinder and V8 Kmembers are a better fit and a tube K-member is even better...which will be my next project on my Mustang when I win the lottery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts