Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a rebuilt transmission $899 from a well known supplier. The transmission was a C4 built by TCI. I went to install the transmission and the slip yoke would not fit. The brand new out of the box Spicer slip yoke would not fit even after I removed the tail shaft housing. A new bushing out of the box fit the slip yoke perfect. Pressed it in to the tail shaft housing, again no way it would fit. Jambed tight to the point you could not turn it with a pipe wrench. The tail shaft housing is no good for sure. But here is the problem, How did this new TCI transmission pass the Dyno test if the slip yoke did not fit? I have a signed dyno card saying it passed fine, no problem. How did it do this? Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
718 Posts
o.d. of slip yoke wasnt milled to the right dia. have you tried another slip yoke ? if they took a ford c4 and rebuilt it then a slip yoke somewhere had to fit it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I tried a new Ford C4 slip yoke also. It did not fit either.
I have a C4 tailshaft housing that I bought from a transmission parts supply.
Both the new out of the box Spicer and new out of the box Ford C4 slip yokes fit perfect in the C4 tail shaft housing that I bought from the transmission parts supply.
Both yokes fit the splines of the TCI C4 transmission tailshaft just fine.
There is no way these two yokes will fit into the TCI C4 transmissions tail shaft housing.
It is still sitting here on the garage floor until I receive a response from the well known supplier regarding how this transmission was able to pass the dyno test.
So far, no reply.
I have since bought a rebuilt C4 transmission from a different supplier.
Needless to say, It is NOT a TCI transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts