Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a 1968 falcon (6 cyl), and I want to know if I can use all of the motor mounts, rear end, front brakes and headers and such from the 1969 cougar and swap them over. It is my understanding that the front brakes will work but I have a couple questions about direct bolt ins

rear end, I understand that the cougar rear end is approx the same size, but are the leaf spring mounts the same? Can I use the leaf springs from the cougar on the falcon?

Are there any difference in the front suspension other than the springs and the brakes/spindles?

I see on some of the motor mount swap vendors that the cougar and mustang are the same, but the torino/fairlane/comet are different.

the engine in the cougar was a 351W

·
Registered
425 Posts
I can tell you now, the leaf springs will not work. Cougar leaf springs are longer than Mustang springs. The eye-to-eye and axle locations are going to be completely different.

The SBF V8 was available in the Falcon in 68 so they should be same engine mounts. I'm also pretty sure the Cougar spindles will swap over which will open up your brake choices. The Mustang, and by extension the Cougar, is based on the Falcon platform so my guess is that most of the front suspension pieces are the same. Try comparing part numbers for parts on Rock Auto.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks for the heads up!

Anyone else have ideas for the v8 swap? What other 6 cyl parts need to be swapped? the rearend obviously, but what about the drive line? will the 6 cyl driveline hold up? what about the cross member, ect. I have not done a v8 swap yet and don't know what parts are really different.

what about rear springs, what is a good option there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts