Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a "Resto-Mod" on a 1963 Falcon Conv.
I installed a TCI - IFS front end, and using a 351W/408 stroker with and AOD trans.
I have installed the block with trans attached to fabricate a trans crossmember. I built the crossmember - but
I can not get to AOD up high enough to level the engine(I need another 1/2" or so). The existing trans tunnel is just to tight.
I had hoped to find a universal sheet metal tunnel, that is just a little larger - but I have not found any.
I thought I could just heat and dimple the factory trans tunnel - but the AOD hits in to many spots.
Has any one found a sheet metal tunnel? or do I just need to fabricate one?
Thanks for the help
Joe

·
Registered
83 Posts
Joe, I think you are up for a fab job. I don't think I have ever heard of any pre fabbed generic tunnels. But then theres lots I never heard of. Seems it should not be too hard to build. Just remember it plays a major role in the structural integrity of the car. Should be a real hauler with that stroker

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
How about some strategicly placed slices down the sides of the tunnel. Jack the trans up to where you like it, and a little extra for clearance.
Take the trans back out, and weld in some filler strips.

Done! Custom made trans tunnel!

Jet

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
How about some strategically placed slices down the sides of the tunnel.
+1. Been there done that. Other possible options are to cut a tunnel out of a later car, drop it in and mark around it, cut and weld. Of course, cutting an old hood to make a funnel-tunnel isn't rocket science either. Finally (for now), tunnels are surprisingly easy to beat out. If you just have a few spots, a hand sledge or air hammer can be very effective in making a bit or room. BTW, 1/2" isn't much, and the engine doesn't have to be (and usually isn't) level. If it's that close and clears everything, you may want to leave it there and match the axle pinion angle for driveshaft alignment.

David

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I saw a thread somewhere, Maybe pro-touring? The guy used a Fox Body trans tunnel. That would work with Falcon and a AOD.

Forgot about that.

Jet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses.
I cut out the tunnel, and will fabricate another.
Just 1 step forward and 3 steps back - but that goes with an unconventional project.
I have a picture in my mind of the completed project - hope to have it finished my next spring
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Good luck, and post your progress!
:tup:
David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Joe,
How did the trans tunnel workout? I put the TCI system in my 1960 Falcon and now the engine sits over an inch higher. I'm faced with the same problem.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I just did a 63'. We used the AOD install bracket I think from Melvins. Then we went Autozoe and got the trans mount for what we thought was best align to the holes on the mount which they had in stock which was a 87' Ford Truck. some mods to the Falcon trans adatpor was necessary.
My engine sits flat. I would think if the trans mount sat lower the the engine wold sit higher at an angle which would not be good for cooling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did a 63'. We used the AOD install bracket I think from Melvins. Then we went Autozoe and got the trans mount for what we thought was best align to the holes on the mount which they had in stock which was a 87' Ford Truck. some mods to the Falcon trans adatpor was necessary.
My engine sits flat. I would think if the trans mount sat lower the the engine wold sit higher at an angle which would not be good for cooling.
Not sure, but I believe that the 60 Falcon has a more narrow trans tunnel, so it looks like firewall modification time. What steering column did you go with?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Why possible.. I thought the 60-63 were very close in design.
I know the 64 Falcon is wider than a 63. But was unaware the 60-61 had different trans tunnel..

I want to say the factory steer column with the Ford-O-Matic shifter on column since it is painted the same as the interior of the dash and doors.. It worked for the C4.. And I didnt want to put the shifter on the floor. We used the linkage from that was on the C4 and just modified it. We used the Lokar upshift cable (if you want part # I can dig it out), I got my neutral safety switch plug from a place online that sales a buch of AOD stuff. Doug's Headers make a Falcon specific V8 to AOD header that I used. Very tight fit but works. Onceyou stab the motor and trans may require to undo the motor mounts then jack up the motor a bit to stick the headers in, then once in place lower it back down.. Just tight fit..

Here is a walk around my car.. Not sure you can see the steer box.. But its stock.. Front suspension is the Total Control Products coilover that replaces both upper and lower arms and has disk brakes..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DO9FdIWw38

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had to "clearance" the tunnel in our '64 with an AOD. I used a Windsor-Fox cross-member which was bolt-in. I heard that Windsor-Fox is no more so that is out of the question. It was a while ago but it seems that we didn't have to adjust the tunnel too much.

·
Registered
698 Posts
There was no clearancing we did. Due to the way the Magnaflow 64' Mustang exhaust kit cross we had to flip the pivot arm on the parking brake.

As mentioned earlier about my steerbox, header, AOD.. Here is a pic looking down at the steerbox and header.. You can see its very tight but no modifications.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why possible.. I thought the 60-63 were very close in design.
I know the 64 Falcon is wider than a 63. But was unaware the 60-61 had different trans tunnel..

I want to say the factory steer column with the Ford-O-Matic shifter on column since it is painted the same as the interior of the dash and doors.. It worked for the C4.. And I didnt want to put the shifter on the floor. We used the linkage from that was on the C4 and just modified it. We used the Lokar upshift cable (if you want part # I can dig it out), I got my neutral safety switch plug from a place online that sales a buch of AOD stuff. Doug's Headers make a Falcon specific V8 to AOD header that I used. Very tight fit but works. Onceyou stab the motor and trans may require to undo the motor mounts then jack up the motor a bit to stick the headers in, then once in place lower it back down.. Just tight fit..

Here is a walk around my car.. Not sure you can see the steer box.. But its stock.. Front suspension is the Total Control Products coilover that replaces both upper and lower arms and has disk brakes..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DO9FdIWw38
okura_hubby, can you tell me the doug's headers part number of the ones you bought that fit the AOD + V8 in the falcon? I'm doing an AOD swap now in a 65 Ranchero and the rep from doug's didn't think any would fit. If you got yours to work, I'm down to try 'em.

Thanks!

Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts