Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving through Culver City today and saw this sitting on the side of the road on Sepulveda Blvd. and hit the brakes as I said almost out loud "What the ****?" So I had to pull over and take a closer look and a few snap shots.
Just as I was about to get back in my vehicle I saw this old coot walking down the sidewalk just existing the Pep boys and I guessed right, he was the owner of the car. I started in with a few questions and he answered as he never missed a beat getting into his car talking all the while, starting it up and driving off. Guess he did not feel like being bothered: lol:. Anyway all I got out of him before he drove off was that it was a Falcon (like I did not know that) and he had done the custom work on it some 25 years ago. Could tell that it had a nice sounding V-8 in it as he turned the key and went rolling off onto the asphalt horizon.
Thought you guys and gals might enjoy the pics.
Ras Daniel

·
Registered
84 Posts
I actually thought of doing the same thing back when I was looking for front fenders for the 63. I could find plenty of early Mustang fenders but not Falcon. Luckily I finally found an excellent pair for cheap. I was going to call it 'Fang'

Sorry,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow,

That looks pretty cool. I have seen Rancheros with Comet front sheet metal before but this is the first Ranchero I have seen that looks like a Mustang in front. The '67 Galaxie tail lights look right at home, too! It looks like a lot of work was involved. Too bad he didn't want to talk about it. It looks like it should have been made that way. I have seen Mustangs converted to Ranchero like vehicles before also but this is really neat.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Needs to loose the pony in the grille and add a custom Ranchero emblem. Other than that it's not bad looking at all. Looks like it was made that way

·
Registered
23 Posts
There used to be a Mustang restoration shop near MGM Studios in Culver City that had a similar 1960 Ranchero with a '66 Shelby Mustang front end. It was painted "retina-searing" red with white racing stripes, had a white interior with Mustang bucket seats and ran a 289/4 speed.

Unlike this truck with the Galaxie taillights and Falcon rear bumper, the '60 Ranchero had been modified with a blade rear bumper and utilized a '66 Mustang's lower valance and GT dual exhaust trumpets.

That truck was definitely a head turner and I'm certain brought in a lot of business for the shop as the Ranchero was often parked in front for all to see and admire.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Y'know, that MIGHT look kind of cool...If the nose was about a FOOT lower.

Murff

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My mom says I can't play with you anymore if you don't stop.

Murff

·
Registered
52 Posts
Getting back to the original car on this post, I can't imagine this was as easy as just unbolting one front end and bolting on another. I am adapting a Shelby Mustang front valance to my Falcon and I discovered much to my dismay and bank account, they don't match up, the Mustang being wider. I have found that body-wise, nearly nothing interchanges between Falcon and Mustang. Anyway, now I have a cool custom part that I am thinking of getting a mold made of, so if others want to do it, I can sell them a ‘glass "bolt on." Oh, I almost forgot. Very nice car!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oldtim on 12/10/06 5:20am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On 2006-12-09 14:19, oldtim wrote:
Getting back to the original car on this post, I can't imagine this was as easy as just unbolting one front end and bolting on another. I am adapting a Shelby Mustang front valance to my Falcon and I discovered much to my dismay and bank account, they don't match up, the Mustang being wider. I have found that body-wise, nearly nothing interchanges between Falcon and Mustang. Anyway, now I have a cool custom part that I am thinking of getting a mold made of, so if others want to do it, I can sell them a ‘glass "bolt on." Oh, I almost forgot. Very nice car!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oldtim on 12/10/06 5:20am ]</font>
Yeah it is an odd bird for sure as are many of those others you guys posted

I have seen that Shelby Valance on several Falcons and Rancheros, Once had it in me to go that route. I always thought they would line right up. I also thought that Delta Bay sold one for the Falcons? Here ia a pic of Mike Duran's.

And here are more of the same. These are Utes from Down Under the First one here looks a bit like the one that started all this.

Ras Daniel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts