Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1969 Ford Falcon - Reciprocity = Velocity - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

UPDATE #1: MAGAZINE!!! The February 2010 issue of Popular HotRodding (on the stands in December 2009) will have a feature on our wagon!

UPDATE #2: Car is ALMOST "done". It is TOTALLY driveable and just had it's fourth trip to the track. On this 4th trip, the FIRST pass was 11.51 @ 117.33 - just as the way it was driven to the track, didn't even alter the air pressure on the rear tires. The track officials took me to the side, and warned me to go slower until I got a rollbar installed, or I'd be kicked off. Made a few more runs, where I got on the brakes after the 1000' lights, running 11.80's at 88mph :)

If I had been able to make full passes, it probably would have been into the 11.3's. A few more changes (I knocked .05 off the 1/8, and the clutch locked up early and actually bogged the motor on the .51 pass), 2 or 3 more trips to the track, and I think this project will be "complete". I need to get it faster than my previous car, first, though (mentioned below)

This is to be a true street/strip car, and may possibly run the Texas Mile as well. My last car used only pump premium, was driven to/from the track on DOT radials, and ran 11.2's at nearly 120mph on all motor - this car is being built to be quicker/faster and more streetable than the previous.

Actually, I'm building it so that my wife (60# lighter than me...) will be able to drive it at the track!

Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hand prepped and home TBC coated Probe pistons

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Custom ground (to my specs, see what happens!) Bullet solid roller cam.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Probe shaft mount 1.7's, AFR 225's, Nextek springs, Ti retainers, Endurex lifters.... You can't see the Eagle forged H-beams and stroker crank - 425 inches now.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Motor "in" the car, but still ALOT of wiring, detailing, and other things to do....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Jay Broader built, Baumannator controlled 4R70W, with custom billet 3500 stall lock-up converter, hooked to the 425" 351W, before installation.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What part of Texas?
Me, or the race? I'm in Seabrook (close to where Hurricane Ike hit) and the race is in Goliad.

Here is another pic of the wagon, from right before I started the current project on it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
1/2" and -8 fuel line, Mallory 140 pump, etc.

Dash mounted tach & gauges project pic

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn.... that motor is a beast.... Any idea on the #'s?
I really hate to make predictions! I did not build this motor for max hp, rather to make the most average tq/hp over a powerband of roughly 3500 to 6500 rpm. Most people would have used a larger cam, but everyone thought my previous car was undercammed as well.

My last car had a race weight just under 3500, and ran a best of 11.27 @ 119.6, all motor, on DOTs, driven to/from track. My goal is for this car to be even more streetable (with the OD tranny w/lock-up converter), and be quicker than the previous.

I have not scaled the wagon yet, but hope the race weights will be similar. The previous car had a few more cubic inches (469 vs. 425). But this one has better heads (MUCH more flow, and better chambers), more compression ratio (10.8 vs. 9.9), and a better cam (solid roller vs. solid flat). Piston design is also better and lighter, along with the connecting rods. The trans has a lower 1st gear, and a bit more stall speed. Suspension should be better on this car was well (Calvert split-leaf springs and Cal-track bars, vs stock springs and SSM bars).

The complete valvetrain on this motor is WAY better than what I previously had, too.

I'm waiting on Baumann to get back with me on the tranny's computer, it only wanted to shift between 1st and 2nd. Once that is figured out, I'll get the car to my local exhaust guru, then I'll be able to put some miles on it! I'm hoping to have it to the track by the end of March.

I'll get some more pics of the car itself once I get it on the road and cleaned up a bit more. I've got plenty of pics of the various projects (hood scoop install, dash mods for the gauges, engine assembly, etc. if anyone is interested).

Thanks for the comments!
Lee Atkinson

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
DANG, you caught my "secret"!!

LOL, you are correct! I was building a Brodix-headed BBC for a buddy of mine, at the same time I was building the 425. When we downloaded the pics, that one got mis-filed - obviously....

Mine is also a Bullet, but a 276/284 (243/251 @ 0.050, and .388" lobe lift, about .660" actual valve lift).

I'll see if I can find a actual pic of the correct cam..... doh!!!

Here are a few more pics of the car

Lee

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I now have 3rd and 4th gears, YIPPEEE!!!!!

Karl Baumann reprogrammed my tranny controller and got it back to me a few days ago. My personal laptop had some issues that delayed things, but got them solved a few hours ago and got everything hooked up. Karl and his staff have been VERY helpful and supportive on this. Baumann Electronic Controls Home Page for anyone not familiar with Karl's products.

It is AWESOME to be able to change shiftpoints via laptop, instead of changing out governor springs/weights :)

Now I have to get my new Aerospace front discs installed (come on, UPS!!!) and get it to the muffler shop.....

Lee

·
Registered
78 Posts
Me, or the race? I'm in Seabrook (close to where Hurricane Ike hit) and the race is in Goliad.

Here is another pic of the wagon, from right before I started the current project on it.

Thats a good looking wagon.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Engine Dyno Results:

Best overall run results: 545tq @ 4900 (still had 521 @ 4000, and 503 @ 5600) and hp was 548 @ 600 (with 508 @ 4900 and 543 @ 6400).

I think the Chinese intake is hurting power past 6000, plan on testing a Super Vic after the car is up and running.

A carb guru was there, as well. He is pretty convinced that my current carb is hurting my topend, and I'll see what he can do for me :)

I did see 557hp on one run, at 6100, but torque was off at the lower end.

(ps, Nico, thanks!)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts