Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, longtime lurker 1st time poster...I have just taken possession of a 1964 Fairlane XL 500 Sports Coupe with a factory Hi Po 289. Have a TON of cleaning to do and some minor repairs; bushings, seals etc.

However my question is: I know this car did NOT come with a fan shroud but it REALLY needs one. Not only for the cooling advantages but also for general safety - having a fixed mounted fan spinning in the open while working on the motor is NOT fun.

I have seen "universal" shrouds on the net as well as others by S.D., P. Cars, etc. pricing varies.

Question is; What have others with a '64 used? What fits the best without a ton of modifications?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm using a reproduction of the shroud used on air-conditioned Fords back then, from NPD:

It's mounted to my radiator using these 3" tall brackets for 4-row radiators; they're also available in 2 and 3-row depths.
Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 11.14.48 AM.png
Cold Case 2.JPG

·
Registered
63 convertable
802 Posts
had one of those flex fans on a dodge a100(van). going down an onramp at about 5000 rpm a blade broke off and stuck through the side on the steel motor box. another 500 rpm it could have cut my leg off. never used one again and allways stayed far from the ones on customers cars

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've heard horror stories about flex fans, and almost always it's from revving past the design limits. This fan has been on the car over 5 years and 50,000 miles with no issues. I just had it off the other day to install that radiator, and inspected it carefully. No cracks at all; looks like new.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using a reproduction of the shroud used on air-conditioned Fords back then, from NPD:

It's mounted to my radiator using these 3" tall brackets for 4-row radiators; they're also available in 2 and 3-row depths.
View attachment 166794 View attachment 166795
How deep is that shroud? Doesn't look like it even covers the fan...

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's only a couple inches deep, the Ford design for extra cooling on A/C cars. The fan is half in, half out as recommended for best cooling.

IMG_5537.JPG

If you're looking mainly for protection from the spinning fan, this might be what you're looking for; it was on the car when I bought it:

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 8.39.36 AM.png

Engine right.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts