Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I believe they only came with a shroud if you had a FE with AC or the Heavy Duty cooling package. I have one from a 65-66 (Metal) that I pulled a few weeks ago to use on my 67 (which came with a plastic version). No luck finding a '67 shroud here and they are $100-125 I think from the reproduction companies. I think I paid $25-35 for the junkyard one which has been cleaned and painted and is awaiting the arrival of the new radiator.

Here are a few links: (looks like they may have dropped to $99, I could have sworn they were $125 last time I looked)

More Information: FS16

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000021i~Z5Z5Z571655~P99.95~~~~S2NT0XRV8C67166451150e~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000021I

Greg

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Greg,

Where did you get your radiator, and how much? All I can find are the alum. type but not for FE only 240 and 289.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I ordered mine from US Radiator, I was going to go with a 3 Row Copper High efficiency core with the triple pass, but I ended up going with a 4 row Desert Cooler copper because it was less and that is what they suggested since I was running hot with the Alum mis-matched Griffen 2-row cross flow that was in there when I got the car.

It's probably a lot more radiator then I need, but I figure it's insurance and the car should have no cooling issues now. It's the exact same dimensions as stock just thicker. It has not arrived yet, but I'm guessing that I will have to do some fab work on the lower and upper mounts. $430 shipped to my house. I can take some pictures when it arrives and when it is installed.

The Radiator that Rich posted is for a SB Galaxie, so it will mount in there, but it's dimensionally smaller then the radiator that came with the FE cars. The company did say it would cool the car, I just wanted to go with a stock size radiator for the look, drop in fit and the ability to use the shroud. That place also sells an alum for a 67-70 Mustang with an FE, but from the dimensions listed it appears a bit wide and short for the Galaxie, but could probably be made to work.

Greg

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
maybe i posted the wrong link-- mine is for a 352 --the bottom outlet is on the drivers side -- the small block has the outlet on the pass side

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I spoke with them and they said "No one makes a drop in Aluminum Radiator for an FE Galaxie". The inlet and outlet are on the correct side, I just know it was dimensionally smaller then the stock radiator I measured in a junkyard '67 near me. That car is complete, even had the shroud I wanted, but the owner of the yard won't part it and it's not for sale. Guess he's holding on to it hoping he can get a lot for it in a few years. Dunno about that as it has a good deal of body damage on the drivers side.

Greg

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Before I plunk down $400 I think I will take mine to a radiator shop and see what they want to recondition it. Nothing the matter with it except that it needs new fittings for the trans. cooler lines - currently it has the world famous rubber leaky lines.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Yea I hear ya, I didn't have the stock radiator to start with or I likely would have priced out some local recores. The only '67 Radiator I could find is in the car I mentioned, so I was out of luck there.

Greg

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
The radiator arrived today, looks great. Fits the lower mounts I pulled out of a 65, but the rubber may have to be trimmed some, it's tight. Going to order new mount pads and seals, all of that is gone. Looks like I got the wrong top mount, so looks like I have an excuse to hit some junkyards this weekend. I think I picked the one I have up off a 68 or 69 and it appears offset to the passenger side somewhat. Just another stock part I didn't get with the car that I have to hunt down.

My trans cooler lines were cut as well, so I'm going to look for a set out of a junker, but that may not pan out. Someone posted a link for a company that sells them new, pre-bent so I have that as a backup.

Greg

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If anyone needs this info, I found the following about fan shrouds in the parts manual.

All 65-67 V8s came with a fan shroud.

65 -67 with FE used C5AZ-8146-B 1 piece fan shrouds.

All 66/67 FEs came with 1 piece shroud, only the 289 in 65 came with 2 and that changed to 1 piece after the first 1000 units. The 289 used C4AZ-8146-A/B for the 2 piece and C5AZ-8146-A 1 piece. The 1 piece for a 289 used the 23 1/4" radiator.

The 289 changed again in 67 because of Ford offering 20 1/4" and a 23 1/4" radiator options.

The end.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If anyone needs this info, I found the following about fan shrouds in the parts manual.

All 65-67 V8s came with a fan shroud.

65 -67 with FE used C5AZ-8146-B 1 piece fan shrouds.

All 66/67 FEs came with 1 piece shroud, only the 289 in 65 came with 2 and that changed to 1 piece after the first 1000 units. The 289 used C4AZ-8146-A/B for the 2 piece and C5AZ-8146-A 1 piece. The 1 piece for a 289 used the 23 1/4" radiator.

The 289 changed again in 67 because of Ford offering 20 1/4" and a 23 1/4" radiator options.

The end.
Well if that's true, looks like I'm in the market for an FE shroud. Darn.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I'm a bit skeptical that all V8's came with a shroud. My first '67 which I was the 3rd owner of had a 289 with the original radiator (in fact the engine had never been pulled) and it did not have one. I looked all over for one after I had the engine rebuilt and never found one in a junkyard. I've seen many more without one then with one. Just my observation.

Can't see why they would be removed from the car?

65Vert. I should be visiting a junkyard in my area this weekend or next. I can look for one if you want me to. Send me a PM and let me know how much you would be willing to pay. I got mine used and just spent some time with a wire wheel in the angle grinder to strip it and sprayed it and it looks good as new. Certainly should be able to find one for less then $100

Greg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went and ordered the $100 one, thanks. I live in hot country (100+) and shrouds make a huge difference, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Maybe I should have said that the parts manual provides for a shroud on all V8s, rather than saying they all came with one. I really couldn't say if they were options, just that the part manual shows a shroud part number for all V8s.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts