Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking some time off, I'm back to finishing my 62 Galaxie. Under the dash on air conditioned cars is a "high idle mechanism". It is basically a lever with two bolts, a cable, and a knob and a bracket. You pull out the knob to increase the idle speed to assist in cooling the car while it is parked.

It has been so long since I took these parts off a parts car that I cannot figure out how the bracket or lever attaches to the accelerator rod above the pedal. I know that's where I took it off of the parts car, but now I'm kind of lost as to how it attached. Does somebody have a diagram or photo of how this thing is attached to the accelerator rod or wherever it is supposed to bolt up on? The bracket and knob obviously bolts under the dash to the driver's side of the A/C blower.

The lever looks like it's supposed to mount on the accelerator rod and then the cable somehow pulls the thing forward??? :confused:

I'm lost.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Not sure on 62, but 63 the cable went thru the firewall and hooked out by the carb. On the rod that goes between the bellcrank and carb.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I have pics somewhere. It just clamps around the bellcrank above the pedal on the inside. Let me dig through my dusty archives and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
This is the piece in question.

It just clamps around the bellcrank up under the dash. The way it is positioned in this photo is how it is under the dash. In this pic you can see the bellcrank right beside the A/C box.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I worked on it a bit this evening and what you have is exactly what I have.

Here's what I don't understand:

When you step on the accelerator the bellcrank normally wants to travel in a forward position, that is the lowest part near the pedal wants to travel up towards the firewall.

However once you clip on this lever or arm, if you pull on the knob it wants to pull on the bellcrank towards the rear of the car, which is the opposite direction it needs to travel to speed up the engine.

The shop manual does not mention this high idle mechanism whatsoever, just the owners manual gives a brief bit about pulling out the knob to speed up the compressor. The one I grabbed was off a sedan with Polaraire, but the lever and knob is the same.

I would think that by pulling out on the knob that somehow it would have to force the bellcrank towards the firewall just like if you step on the gas, but it just pulls instead no matter how the lever is mounted to the bellcrank.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'62s have that freakish knob and lever set up. I'm not sure about the '60 and '61s, but they most likely do.

According to the owner's manual, it's for use when the "car will be parked in the hot sun and just idling and when extra cooling is desired." The knob is located just about 1 or 2 inches to the driver's side of that chrome under dash air blower unit.

From what it appears, you are supposed to pull out the knob an inch or so, and it will manually depress the pedal just a bit and speed up the engine to spin the compressor faster.

I know I took of that lever off the parts car bellcrank, but no matter how I put that lever onto my bellcrank, it's always in a position so that the knob/cable only wants to pull the bellcrank towards the driver, not push or pull it towards the firewall.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
This is the piece in question.

It just clamps around the bellcrank up under the dash. The way it is positioned in this photo is how it is under the dash. In this pic you can see the bellcrank right beside the A/C box.
only way it will work , is if you rotate bracket on right to point down and then attach to bellcrank rod inside the car.....

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
What the hell does the big end supposed to clamp to? that's a 3/4" diameter clamp from the looks of it.

Find that piece under your dash. I see nowhere in the pictures where it would fit.
this is the only way i can see it working.....;)
parden my drawing skills......:eek:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last night I finally found a reference to this thing in the 1962 Shop Manual, in part 3-1 "fuel system maintenance" on page 3-9.

It says "On a car with an air conditioner, place the transmission selector lever in neutral or park. Engage the throttle control (this mechanism) and operate the engine between 750 and 1000 rpm with the air conditioner on. Loosen the screw on the No. 2 throttle stop (Fig. 19). Move the stop against the Bowden cable cover. Tighten the screw to secure the adjustment."

Below that is a small photo showing the bracket and knob under the dash, next to the flexible A/C duct and blower unit, and the cable going back to that large lever. The lever clamps to the accelerator rod above the gas pedal just below the bend where the rod goes through the firewall. The lever points upwards, with the small shorter part of the "clamp" facing the transmission hump. The bolts that clamp on this lever are pushed in from the driver's side and the nuts are on the transmission hump side. This photo shows that the Bowden cable has TWO of those allen screw type stops on it, one before the the cable passes through the lever, and one after it passes through.

I KNOW that the part I took off the parts car was on from the factory and there was only one stop on the cable. Domino's car has just this one stop on it also. I wonder if some running change was made from Ford from two stops to just one. Who knows.....

Raggaren had it correct. Your diagram is exactly what the shop manual shows in the small photo. If this whole device only has to speed up the engine from 600 r.p.m. to 900 or so, then it does not have to move the accelerator pedal very much.

For some strange reason there is NO mention of this part in the Shop Manual air conditioning section. It's listed in the Fuel System Maintenance section. Perhaps somebody with a scanner and the shop manual can post a photo.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Yep. You are all correct. The big in should be the other way. When I last saw it in the car I was upside down looking at it. I found it in my 1961 accessory manual.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anybody know what years Ford used this high idle knob? I have never seen this on any '63 or '64s. I found mine on a 62 Galaxie series 4 door post sedan that had a 292 fordo in it and polaraire. Too bad about the Polaraire unit somebody broke the side of the housing trying to get it out, otherwise it was a nice unit. They had forgotten the knob, bracket, cable and lever so I grabbed that right away.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
63 and 64 had it, but the cable went out the firewall and then hooked to the throttle rod between the bellcrank and carb. Also the bracket for the cable was mounted to the Select Air unit on the left side.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I happened to find this photo online tonight of somebody's nice Sunliner showing the placement of the high idle mechanism and the correct distance from the A/C blower box.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I don't think that is right. I think the idle knob is supposed to be closer the A/C register. Here is a pic of my parts car before I disassembled it.

The owners manual also shows the knob closer to the register as well. This is from the owners manual.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts