Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Subscriber
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1979 Cougar XR7 using the Ford power steering box. Boy is it slow. I there a faster box that is a bolt in?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
How many turns lock to lock?

It is possible that older intermediates may have faster units that bolt in but a baseline to compare with would help.

Also maybe find an application with a longer pitman arm that will fit too. Stu

·
Registered
712 Posts
Factory is 4 turns lock to lock, the only faster ratio box would be a
SPA-T box from a Boss Mustang. It has 3 turns lock to lock and is variable ratio. It is a saginaw gear that you need to make custom lines if you have the Ford box right now. It is a direct bolt in gear though.
Oh, good luck finding one though, I have a '73 Montego I need one for.
4 turns lock to lock kinda' sucks especially parking this "land yacht".
Chris.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I thought I saw somewhere AGR can mofdify the factory box for around $600?
I can't complain however, my 1972 Torino has a 3 turn lock to lock box from the factory.

·
Registered
81 Posts
*cough* 71 Mustang Boss Mustang box. code SPA-T. I put one in my 78 Cougar. Took the car from boat to nicely handling. It's a Saginaw box, so you may have to change hoses.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Ford bolt pattern Saginaw three bolt steering box mentioned previously in this thread is not the end of the line here. There are several companies that take these boxes and replace the internals with Trans Am / Z-28 parts. The result is a 12.7:1 ratio, which is much better than the 3 turn lock to lock Ford version.

I spoke to Gail, at Lee Manufacturing and she gave me all the details. They sell the steering box outright with no core or exchange for $440.00 and they recomend that you send them your power steering pump to be recalibrated for an additional $135.00. That includes new seals, and fittings, but any other parts are extra.

There web site listed below is just a home page with an email link so you will have to call them if you want additional information. http://www.leepowersteering.com/

I know it is an expensive upgrade to buy outright, but if you already have the box you could save yourself a bundle and put the TA / Z-28 parts in it yourself.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just a saginaw (SPA-t) code for 72 mustang .I plan to use it in my 75 Torino.Will there be any problem with the pitman arm or fitting on the chassis.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
or you could buy an add on in the shaft steering quickener in many different ratios from Afco,Speedway ,or Peformance bodies etc . They are super easy to install and will put 2 more joints in the shaft to better collapse the sector in the event of an accident

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Hey Greg, any luck with the steering box conversion you were talking about?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Jeff,

I have all the parts, and now I have a frame rail to graft in as well....

Just need to get the engine/tranny out to start cutting and welding.

Greg

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Cool, if you have time I'd love to see a thread detailing the conversion (although grafting a section of another frame is a bit scary). Do you think you'll be saving significant amounts of money over going with a R & P kit?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts