Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know if anyone has installed, or knows anyone who has installed, the Fat Man Fab WonderBar rear suspension on their 65 or 66 Mustang. If so, how do you like it? What are the good & bad things about it?

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've looked into it, but lost interest quickly.

-The Panhard bar connection to the frame rail seems marginal.
-The Panhard bar to 'wonderbar' connection seems geometrically compromised.
-The design transfers all rear weight & shock to the shock absorber mounting points. Stock suspensions put a lot of strain into the shock absorber mounting points, but the weight of the car is still carried on the frame rails. With that 'wonder bar' system, all weight is moved to the rear pan / shock absorber mounting points -and they've done nothing to reinforce or distribute the load.
-I hate the name 'Wonderbar'... -sounds cheesy to me.

I'm leaning towards the 'Air-ride' triangulated 4-link suspension; except that I'm going to substitute standard coilover shocks for the unnecessary air shocks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After thinking things over and, like others, realized the weight of the car is transferred to the car's pan, I"ve decided to go with the Global West del-a-lum rear spring bushings and sub-frame connectors. I'm also adding their jacking rails for a little added chassis stiffness and the ability to jack the car from the side.

These things, together with the Global West front suspension, which I already have, should be adequate for my driving style.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts