Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The harmonic balancer is off my 1968 390, which is out of the car, and I noticed when I was cleaning it up for paint, that the inner ring is sticking out the radiator side slightly, right at .0125/1000ths, or 1/80th of an inch. I did not notice anything else wrong with it, the rubber isn't cracked, and there is no play, I could not get the sections to move even with tools. When last it ran, I didn't notice any problems with it, or the front pulley. Should I even be concerned with this, and if so, is there a way to test it without it being on a running engine, like perhaps rigging it up to a bench grinder and spinning it to see if it wobbles?

This picture is not of mine, just one I pulled off the net, but is used as an example...

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
267 Posts
If everything looks good, its probably ok but...
My opinion is, for what a new one cost and even an upgraded one, why not. If you spend the money to rebuild or even just freshen up the engine, that is one part, I would only want to install 1 time, so i would replace it. Cost vs. reward, and the old one is 53 years old.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If everything looks good, its probably ok but...
My opinion is, for what a new one cost and even an upgraded one, why not. If you spend the money to rebuild or even just freshen up the engine, that is one part, I would only want to install 1 time, so i would replace it. Cost vs. reward, and the old one is 53 years old.
Can you suggest an upgraded one, and what would be better about it? I'm with you on only having to do things once, however, I keep using that logic, and have gone way over my original budget, everywhere I look is a new something that replaced a working something, just because I only want to do it once...its practically a new 50-year-old car. Also, I'm not 100% sure the balancer is original, there are signs that the engine was rebuilt at some point, probably in the late 1980's or early 1990's, so it is possible a new one was put on at that time, but who knows?

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
267 Posts
Its not a huge deal, just my thoughts.
I have a PRO Products powerforce. But there are many brands out there. I think it was $125. Simple Upgrade non SFI rated should be fine if not a full race engine. They usually just have tighter tolerances, are bonded in a better way, better balanced at higher rpms, nodular iron.
Over all just nicer, easier to see markings, etc.
Nothing wrong with an OEM replacement but just a chance to upgrade a little, and gives a little peace of mind for years of service vs. Part store bought (maybe made in china type stuff).
If yours is not that old, im sure a engine shop could test it, but with that time and money involved you could probably buy a new one so...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not a huge deal, just my thoughts.
I have a PRO Products powerforce. But there are many brands out there. I think it was $125. Simple Upgrade non SFI rated should be fine if not a full race engine. They usually just have tighter tolerances, are bonded in a better way, better balanced at higher rpms, nodular iron.
Over all just nicer, easier to see markings, etc.
Nothing wrong with an OEM replacement but just a chance to upgrade a little, and gives a little peace of mind for years of service vs. Part store bought (maybe made in china type stuff).
If yours is not that old, im sure a engine shop could test it, but with that time and money involved you could probably buy a new one so...
I appreciate the thoughts, I should have mentioned that the engine is basically stock, just refreshed at some point, as far as I can tell. I doubt it will ever see even 4,000 rpm. I'm leaning toward repainting it and putting it back in, then in a few years, I can "hear" and "feel" something which will then give me the excuse to pull all the stuff off the front and upgrade to a serpentine system. 😀

I looked into buying the balancer from CVF racing, and later upgrading to their serpentine system, but they couldn't/wouldn't guarantee that their balancer would match up with my stock twin pulley, it looks like the same three bolt pattern, so I guess I won't go that route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts