Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be getting a 390 out of a GT Torino, is there a bellhousing I could use to fit it in front of my C4. My C4 has been rebuilt 200 miles ago and it's really strong, and I dont want to play around with tranny mounts and driveshaft. Just curious or should I get my spare C6 rebuilt, track down a tranny mount,driveshaft. I've heard some guys use a C4 behind BBF and have no problems, so is it worth tracking down. Thanx guys.

Rick

·
Registered
314 Posts
The bell that J.S. has/had is to put a C-4 behind a 429/460. It was used with the 351M. Same bolt pattern as the 429/460. Rare, but not super rare.

The bell to put a C-4 behind an FE like the 390 is ultra rare, at least for a factory part. It was only used for a little while. Back in 68 they had a fire at the C-6 trans plant. No C-6's for a while, so they made a C-4 bell for the 390. The only place to get one now is JPT Trans in Mich.(?) He got the ok from the NHRA to use the C-4 behind 428 CJ's in the Mustang SS drag cars, so he makes a reproduction. It's very $$$.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Interesting story about the C-4 behind an FE. Turns out all of it is BS, I saw a post by a NHRA tech inspector on another forum where he saw a JPT bellhousing on a class car that looked a little funny. Get it pulled from the car and the bodyfill used to hide the weld was coming loose. Yep the JPT housing was a C-6 housing with a plate welded on just like the one I run. There is so many out there now NHRA just said the hell with it and let it stay legal.
There is someone making a cheaper one now, just cannot remember the name. I will post if it comes to me.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Check this thread out on the FE forum....This is the FE-C4 bell made by JPT....It does exist....or some do....

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=74182&messageid=1020699705

And like mentioned above...the bell I have is for the 429/460....and also, it isn't really rare...more like scarce.....I have never seen one in a junkyard while out scavaging....It wa actually used to put the C4 behind the 351M/400....

And mine is still available if anyone needs one...email me...

·
Registered
672 Posts
As soon as I graduate from school, I'm going to work full time in the summer. Hopefully I'll have enough money to build a 460 for my car. If you still have it by the end of the summer, I'll buy it.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, probably cheaper and easier to build up the C6 I have from a 66 Fairlane 390 car. I need mounts for a 68, any out there, and driveshaft.
Thanx

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts