Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week Ive been mounting FPA long tube headers on the 352 engine in my 63 1/2 Galaxie. I also discovered that the engine mounts were really worn. With the headers installed, its almost impossible to get access to twist the nuts where the engine mount is mounted to the engine. I also had to cut the 2 frame bolts some mm with an angle grinder, to get the mounts in place.

IMO I have 3 options;

Modify the new mounts by cutting away some areas them with the angle grinder, to get more accesibility to turn the nuts

Buy new engine mounts which is made another way that the orignals, if it exists some?

The last option is to remove the headers to get accessibility. I assume thats not necessary

Some advices?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Do you have the clearance to either jack the engine up with a floor jack or pick it up with a hoist?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Im using a hoist pictured below, and a strap. The engine is lifted max; the engine stops when it comes to a level, cause its mounted to the transmission. Got the mounts in place with only a few mm of the framebolt cut off, but as mentioned, the bolts to the engine are very difficult to access.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got mine Tri-Y long tube headers from Ford Powertrain Application (FPA). They were uncoated, but I painted them with VHT high temp paint. Havent driven the car this winter after I got them mounted, yet

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
That's just the cold hard facts of life when you start modifying a vehicle. Try bolting a set of factory 427 long cast headers on a 63. You'll cuss Ford all the while. Also forgot to say that speed parts are guaranteed, guaranteed you have to $$ck (mess) with them to make them work.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Modify the new mounts by cutting away some areas them with the angle grinder, to get more accesibility to turn the nuts.
I would carefully grind for socket clearance.

Have you considered thin-wall sockets like offered by SNAP-ON? While $$$, you will only need one size and not a set.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After some hours I got the engine mounts in place, using standard socket and other keys, without modifying the engine mounts. It was difficult, but it went good ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts