Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to put a T5 or TKO in behind the 390 FE in my 68 LTD. So far the only bellhousing adapter I've found is the one made by quicktime, but $530 seems a little salty to me. Hell, I didn't pay that much for the engine! Do I have any other options? Any tricks for modifying common bellhousings to take the T5?
-Jon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the response that I got from Riley Automotive when I asked about the FE to T5 bell.

BHA is a bell housing adapter,
a plate that fits between your bellhousing and trans.
Allowing the two to bolt together.
The FE to T5 is a custom unit,
and we need spe'c from your bellhousing and trans to build it.
I understand Mcleod is making
a full bellhousing that would do it.
McLeod Racing - Home Page

eriC
Riley Automotive Hot Rod Parts
1-800-530-7636

·
Registered
537 Posts
If your going to install a TKO series transmission call modern driveline. They can install a short input shaft. With this you can run a TKO on a factory iron bellhouing with no modifications.

I should know I am running a TKO 600 from modern driveline off a factory 400 bellhousing in my Ranchero.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What bolt pattern does the TKO match up to? I'm gonna be sourcing swap meets for a bellhousing because right now the engine is mated to a C6.

·
Registered
214 Posts
TKO is available with either Ford or GM bolt patterns.

For an FE just get a regular bellhousing for a factory 3 or 4 speed, and a TKO with the Ford pattern and early style input shaft.

You can also specify one of 4 different shifter locations. I think fullsize would be the 16.75" distance?

·
Registered
214 Posts
"Early style" means top-loader length rather than T5 length. (6.5" vs 7.21") The standard Ford pattern TKO is made to replace a T5 , but you can get a shorter input shaft to make it a replacement for a top-loader, which would be the easiest way to put one behind an FE.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is looking easier and easier, after looking at the manual and doing some more research, I'm sure I can swap the input shafts myself. Any idea where I can find the shorter (6.5" toploader length) input shaft for a t5?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts