Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what kind of heads I have
C4AE-6090C, these are on my 70 F100 with what I thought was a 360, not sure now?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Are you sure they aren't C4AE-6090G? the G heads are very good. they flow almost as well as CJ heads even with the smaller valves when given a good valve job they came on the 64-66ish cars 352's and 390's I plan on getting a set for my 410 when I get to that point

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be a G I looked at it earlier but didnt have good light, I am not sure if someone has just swapped heads or the whole motor. Can you tell me anything on the C8AE-B heads I have a set of these also?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I don't have a listing for a C8AE-B in my limited info. But a good rule of thumb is if it has the larger 1.34 X 2.34 intake ports it is a decent head. Except for 427 & 428CJ heads the '66 (C6XX-X) up heads generally have a 1.34 x 1.93 intake port.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you sure those are not C8OE B? These will have the bosses for the 16 hole exhaust flange. This is probably a smog head. The C4AE G is often referred to as the poor man's CJ head. It has large intake ports and they are cheap and common. Also it is easy to install larger valves.

Gregg
-----------------------------------
Are you ever really finished working on them?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the heads are C8AE-B, I think they are truck heads if this helps, they have the thermactor ports and exhaust bolt holes are above and below the ports only

·
Registered
127 Posts
I used to have a set of C8AE-H heads, the B's are probably similar they are the small port small chamber lowered exhuast port heads they can take CJ valves and were also used on the 390GT

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can the C8AE-B heads be ported to the earlier heads size, i measured them earlier and they are the small ports. I really dont want to use bigger valves because this motor/truck is on a very tight budget.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ttt

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you want the best budget get the CJ exhaust valve installed and leave the smaller intake, have them do a throat cut when they machine for the valves since this'll open up the area behind the valve. The early intake ports gain volume on the bottom of the port which isn't necessarily the best as the top of the port is what you'd want to be sure matched. in the exhaust take the gasket and put it up to the port, see how it matches and compare that to your header flange and the exhaust manifold face of the head, if they line up leave them alone if the header is raised and the gasket is too match the top of the gasket if it'll leave enough gasket material for sealing and when you feel up the port a couple of inches you'll feel some lumps and those should be cleaned out too

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone tried the Edelbrock performer rpm heads offered for the 390v-8.Before I did into my C8AEH on my 72 F250 are the Edelbrocks worth the $1,229.95 a pair complete as listed in the Jegs and Summit catologs?My cast heads from what you are all saying are small port slugs with little potential.Would these cast heads have hardned seats,the build date of the truck is 10/71?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts