Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a 75 highboy that had been torn all apart, I got everything to put it together, including a 390? mounted up to the np435. I checked the head casting numbers and they don't make sense to me. the head numbers are AE-A (nothing else there) and the intake is stock cast iron 4bbl with d5te9425mb casting number... I have heard that the FT engines had 4bbls or some of the old F350's?

Anyways just wondering what the heads were.

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
Using FE's values, there is a .3% chance that they are C7AE-A :) but that .3 percent would have my money on it.

I have never seen a C6AE-A. I would expect D2TE-AA as a factory head, C8AE-H or C6AE-R as earlier common heads, or less common, but possible would be C7AE-A

The C7AE-A would be a small runner intake like the rest, also unibody/truck design, more common on car 390s, and also correct on 67 GT500 Shelby, but don't get too excited, they arent a performance head, its just what was used on the 428PI of the day and has no performance benefit at all, and only more value to collectors if the date codes match someone's restoration.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using FE's values, there is a .3% chance that they are C7AE-A :) but that .3 percent would have my money on it.

I have never seen a C6AE-A. I would expect D2TE-AA as a factory head, C8AE-H or C6AE-R as earlier common heads, or less common, but possible would be C7AE-A

The C7AE-A would be a small runner intake like the rest, also unibody/truck design, more common on car 390s, and also correct on 67 GT500 Shelby, but don't get too excited, they arent a performance head, its just what was used on the 428PI of the day and has no performance benefit at all, and only more value to collectors if the date codes match someone's restoration.
We have a winner! I went out and took another look in the daylight and the heads are the c7ae-a. the intake is a d5 4bbl unit.

I also noticed that the block does have the four mounting holes for the motor mounts. I will have to look at the crank for counter balance, I didn't see anything on the crank, but doesn't mean it isn't there...

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
DOH! C6AE-R and C7AE-A OK you win :) But they are fairly run of the mill 390 /428 heads for the most part arent they?

Regardless of that casting thing... I've never seen a stock FT engine in anything under an F-450.
Yes they are, C6AE-R has a little benefit as its exhaust port centerline is the same as a CJ port, the others are lower, but for the most part, all of the listed heads are just generic 352/360/390/428 heads

1 - 6 of 6 Posts