Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess maybe I'm a little biased, and alot nostalgic. Any vintage Mustang/Ford Muscle Car (pre 1970) deserves to have the venerable old FE under the hood. My 68 Mustang has a 428 for power and ran low 11's with only minor tuning. The combination's pretty straight forward: out of the box E-bock heads, performer RPM intake, solid lift cam, forged flat top pistons (stock replacement +.030), stock rods and crank, a few oiling system mods, and basic common sense upgrades like good rod bolts, valvetrain parts, etc. As far as cost, I built mine for around $6500. I only ran the last 3rd of the season last year but it's still together. Probably lots of opinions about durability, but if mine breaks, I'll still build another one. Besides, with the Genesis blocks nearly ready, Scat cranks on the way, and the new torker intake from Edlebrock, I can hardly wait to build a 454 stroker FE - granted, that one will definitly cost big money, but I just love the FE's

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well, I admire your wanting to stick with the FE for nostalgic reasons, and Im not trying to disaude you from using it since you already have all the parts.

But! for $6500 you could have a 514 or bigger, that would put your pony in the 9's.

The Genisis blocks alone are $4000-$5000, the Shelby block is $6000+

The Scat cranks (and Eagle) are stronger than stock, and are a step in the right direction.

When it comes to cost per horsepower, the 460 is the only choice for Ford fans!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I'm not against FE's either but a minor tune? Sounds more like a race engine to me. My '70 Spoiler with a minor tune runs low 13's, no aftermarket intake, heads or cam. I like FE's as well but the 385's have a lot more bang for da buck

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm a relatively new member but it still feels like deja vu

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67stang351 on 3/22/02 4:08am ]</font>

·
Registered
54 Posts
You guys over there are amazing!

Nagging about which engine family to use...
It's quite entertaining to read the posts.
Even though I'm a FE owner, I really love the other Fords, but on the other hand, here in Sweden we don't have much of a choice, we must stick together!
Call us traitors...

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
FE stands for Ford/Edsel. It's the series of engines Ford built from circa 1960(?) I think it began with the 352, then 390, 410, then 427, and 428. The 427 and 428 iterations are legendary in Ford racing. I'm sure I left something out....

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I think the FE started in '55 or '57. I'm not sure but the 352HP heads were the first HP FE heads(58CC chambers).

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I think the FEs started in '58. At least in cars they did.

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 3/22/02 7:02am ]</font>

·
Registered
749 Posts
I personally know a guy who runs FE's in his 70 fastback bracket stang. Dunno how he does but the thing runs 10.90's and Ive never seen or heard of him losing an engine, Believe it or not its a 390 block .080 then stuffed with a 428 cranktrain. The guy is a wildman with the FE stuff. His current 428 motor runs ported 352 heads! The only time he had a prob is when he tried to run a 352 block .130(428 bore)! He runs an auto repair/rebuild shop. He checks core shift and cyl thickness. Said he was pushing it just abit

His friend runs a 600 ci injected 385 series combo on alcohol. stuffed in a 71-73 stang(tube chassied). Runs traction limited mid 8's...was built for Super Gas but he said things kinda got out of hand

His wife runs a backhalfed fox stang with a C motor
They run a tranny shop and build thier own trannies for the race cars. The 70 428 stang runs a C4. These guys are throwbacks right out of the movie "Two Lane Blacktop". Long hair parted down the middle with Led Zepplin crankin in the background.
2 of the coolest laidback dudes you will ever meet and Ford to the bone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts