Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, was looking for advice on an fe build. Its my dads favorite motor and we have a few of em layin around. they are all 360's but we want something different. 406, 410, 428. are any of these motors harder to achieve than another one, starting with a 360? lookin at a mild build. with intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
so find a 390 crank, a good set of heads (depending on what you have currently). and rebuild one of them.
If you want to get crazy or you have good funding, build a 445 stroker with the 360 block.

best of luck,
Drew

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have been more specific. If I see a ford pickup at a pump between 67 and 79, I can usually tell them whats in it. We want a mill in the old mans pickup that people can't guess. It's a 73 ford 250 4x4. almost all of them are 360's, even though most people think they are 390's. Also a common motor, but mostly in 2 wheel drives. thats why I named 406, 410, 428. keep the wannabe fans from tellin us what they think they know. And the real ford fans could appreciate it, and talk about it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
well you said you'd be starting with a 360 engine.

With that being the case, a 410 is the only thing you can reasonably achieve out of your list.
I still think if you are looking to go with a 'stock look 360' and a real monster under the hood I would build a 445.
Your 360 block with a new rotating assembly.... basically 4.250 stroke crankshaft, new pistons and rods. I would think you'd want a bit more flow out of the heads to feed the extra ci.
After that just paint the whole thing ford blue and smear some dirt on it.
Survival Motorsports Home Page

edited to say:
I guess I should have clarified why a 406/428/427 are out of your range..... The 360/390/410/445(stroker) are all based on the 4.050 bore and essentially the same block.
The 406/428 have a stroke that is at the outer limit of a standard fe block. Most will not go that far, and certainly not reliably. a 427 is even further out there as far as bores go.

best of luck
Drew

·
Registered
9 Posts
with my 390 i was suprised with the power with just a performer intake, 202 160 valves and a cam, around here 406, 410 and 428s are hard to find so i'm looking really hard into that 445 stroker, but the 360 does have the same bore as a 390 so i'd just find a 390 crank, cheap and good power.
good luck with the build.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I am new to this site. I am building a 390fe for my 73 f100 4x4 to tow with. Here is what I am doing so far. The block is being decked and bored out 20 thou, the crank is getting ground and balanced, the rods are being balanced, the piston heads are being balanced, I'm going with a pro comp cam that performs between 3000 & 5000 rpm, the heads r the truck heads with the smaller ports and they have been fully redone, I'm going with the stock 2 barol intake, new motorcraft carb, motorcraft electronic ignition, I want to put the flame thrower 2 coil and ignition in it. The whole engine is being balanced.
Should I port and polish the heads?
Should I put headers on it? And what type?
I would appreciate any tips or advice u guys can give me on anything that I missed or anything that would be better or make it better. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Ryan, I think that when running a 2V carb on an FE the even porting and polishing will only avail you so much, I think you should go for a lower rpm cam, say in the 2,000 to 4,500 range.

To me it makes sense because the 2V is an off the line gimme torque kind of carb, and with a truck you want to pull things with that power coming in around the 2K mark is going to help you a lot.

Why the need to work it up to the 3-5k range when it will rarely see the 5K while it's being used for the purposes you spoke about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is very true about the cam. This is my first rebuild on my own I have done a few with my dad. I was told by someone to go with that cam but it makes more sense to go with the 2000 to 4500 rpm cam. Thanks.
Should I port and polish the heads?
Should I put headers on it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Headers for sure. But a slight gasket[grinding+ matching] on the exhaust side will help it emmensly. Think seriousy on a 4v system. FE's will scream if built right. Great torque builders!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts