Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much are the stock shafts good for? I dissasembled mine and found them to be bent, I straightened and polished them. They are off my my C4AE 6090G heads. I am going to replace the rockers with adjustables If I can find some reasonably priced, I don't want to waste my time on the shafts if they won't hold up, I will only be pushing 350-375 fly hp. Also what oiling mods can be done to the motor?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MGT351 on 5/26/02 6:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
148 Posts
I wouldn't take a chance with those shafts, especially since they were bent. The cost of new ones aren't that much and the 427 shafts are still available. If you are running much spring presure then billit stands and end supports are recomended.
As for oil mods if this is a street engine matching the main bearing feeds on 1,2,and4, drilling the feed from the pump to the filter, restricting the rocker feed, and tapping all the galley holes are all I would worry about. If its is a race engine I would oversize the main galley and the galley from the filter to 15/32, and the main bearing feeds to the main galley to 5/16. Also try to widen the groove behind the cam bearings to 427 size. If you have a remote oil filter then a MINIMUM of #12 line should be used. Blueprint a H/V pump and radius and clean-up the filter adapter.
Some people will say that this is overkill or unnessesary but I've been racing FEs for a lot of years in all kinds of racing and haven't lost one to oiling problems yet.
Good Luck

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who can I get the 427 shafts from? Any ideal on pricing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
one thing you need to check is too see if your heads are straight across the rocker stands we had trouble with one breaking shafts. we had to shim the stands to correct the problem

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who can I get the 427 shafts from?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts