Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an FE engine guru within 200 miles of Des Moines IA. Preferably with a rear wheel dyno available. I have a 1964 Galaxie with 390 that the timing is off (it wants to diesel sometimes when I shut it off) and I don't believe the carburetor is set correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
I am in Omaha, and do a lot of FE work out of my home. However, it seems like a long drive for a carb and timing adjustment, nobody good out there?

Would be happy to talk you through it too if you need it, post some more specifics of what you have, all stock, aftermarket stuff, idle speed, carb etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for contacting me. I don't know of anyone in this area which is why I posted on here. I have a 1964 Galaxie convertible with 390, Autolite 4100 600 cfm carburetor, Sanderson shorty headers, blue thunder aluminum intake, 1966 stock cast heads that were supposed to be cleaned up in the ports, a slightly better than stock cam which I am currently unable to find my paperwork for. In park idle is 900 rpm, in drive600 rpm.

You're correct, Omaha is a bit far for this. Not sure which way to turn at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
I don't know these guys at all, but they may be able to help

https://local.yahoo.com/info-16528382-s-s-specialties-cumming?stx=classic car restoration&csz=Des Moines, IA&fr=lsrp

If not, any shop that you see older vehicles should be able to handle what you want.

FWIW, I would likely start with the following

- If you have points, make sure they are good, or replace with electronic conversion
- Set your initial timing to 10-12 degrees with vacuum advance unhooked and plugged
- Adjust idle speed a little lower, set mixture screws to best idle warm
- Reset idle speed and connect vacuum advance hose to ported source (dead at idle)

Lots more we can do to troubleshoot, but should be a very straightforward combo unless cam is significantly mismatched

1 - 4 of 4 Posts