Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have learned something, but not sure how valuable that something is at the moment. Without knowing the actual casting number on the bell or actually being able to physically examine the bell, I am forced to leave its OEM origin in the realm of "possible" but not "positive."

As for the "claim", it is the best guess I could come up with since I did not count the thousands of C4s I have bought and scrapped over the last 25 years at this location and the 3 years prior at a different location.

What I do know is that in the busiest year that I ever had scrapping transmissions, I sold OVER 250,000 pounds of scrap transmission aluminum to CalBag here in Portland. I also sold over 350 tons (almost 3/4 of a million pounds) of scrap transmission iron that same year to Schnitzer Steel. That works out to about 8,200 transmissions of which there would have been about 1200 C4s.

Even as recently as 2006 I was still buying over 3000 transmissions per year. Of course, the C4 count by then was way down, probably around 300 or so units for the year. And in 2006 I was no longer scrapping C4s for aluminum except for the rust buckets.

Nowadays I am buying only around 1000 transmissions per year and I doubt that I bought 100 C4 jewels in the last year even though I hardly ever buy from late-model yards (yards with cars under 15 years old).
Your statement makes perfect sense now. I apologize if I seemed a skeptic.
In addition to my day job from 1985-1998 I owned and operated a Hulk Truck, so I am familier with Schnitzer Steel (formerly General Metals) and Calbag in Tacoma.

Now that that's clear, I have a scrap aluminum pile and.....

·
Registered
578 Posts
i stotted one of these bell housings on a C4 many years a go, It was in a Ford Van with an FE engine I have no idea what size the engine was, the Guy at the Auto Wrecker told me he had a FMX for an FE, when We inspected it closer it was a Heavy duty C4!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts