Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seriously,is it worth going through the hassle of swapping engines and transmissions and crossmembers and all that good stuff?is it as easy as it sounds?im looking for 500-600 HP i know its doable on the FE but parts for the 460 are cheaper and it has the obvious displacement advantage. What do you guys think???BTW the car in question is a 68 galaxie with a 390

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
What does your wallet tell you?

Mine curse at me when I thought of a foe-sissy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildosvt01 on 3/28/06 7:11am ]</font>

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha id hate to ruin a good thing the 390 is running great right now and it would be easier to just slap bolt ons when funds arrive but its almost impossible to overlook those extra cubes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i had that same delima and i decided to go 385, i'm in the middle of a 514 build for my 63 and i'll have 2/3ds the money into the engine but make around 200 more hp for that money. my trans on the other hand i'm sticking with a 4 speed so i've decided to go jerico but a c-6 would do the job too., its all about personal preference and money available

·
Registered
112 Posts
Three things you will need to change from 390 to 460 is 68 to 71 T-bird motor mounts and the shorter T-bird water pump and maybe the transmission cross member.If you find a 68 to 71 T-bird in a junk yard your set for the swap.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
There is a 20+ page article in the archives detailing a 429 swap done by a forum member. It details the trial and erro steps taken putting a C-6 and 385 series BBF in a 67 Galaxie.

It even has pictures. This was not a profession install, it was done by a working stiff over several months.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so all i need are the 68-71 t bird motor mounts and tranny crossmember???those are direct bolt in for a 68 galaxie?? can i just buy those at kragens???if so,why do they make the 460 swap kits if it was that easy,just wondering?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
385 all the way, Much more bang for the buck, Alot of reasonably priced parts and you can make ungody amounts of HP and torque. FE's are great for nostalgic stuff but way to outdated and expensive.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-03-29 06:49, dfree383 wrote:
385 all the way, Much more bang for the buck, Alot of reasonably priced parts and you can make ungody amounts of HP and torque. FE's are great for nostalgic stuff but way to outdated and expensive.
I will agree that FE builds are expensive, I'll also give you the point that in the cubic inches wars, the FE will end up on the small side.

Out dated...I is something I would argue about. Especially now that new blocks are on the market, new heads are on the market and new manifolds, cams are still being designed. They are not that far out-dated. Inch for inch, I would only go even money, if you restricted the match up to factory wedge head designs...I'll take the FE. Heads-up. 427 vs. 429

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Not to jack the thread but how many FE's are running in motorsports (other than Super Stock or nostalga)? Enough said !!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-03-29 12:09, dfree383 wrote:
Not to jack the thread but how many FE's are running in motorsports (other than Super Stock or nostalga)? Enough said !!
Good come back. So, your argument is that based on what? cost, which I already conceded, popularity or quality, design?

You brought up that they were out-dated, I say thats not completely supported by results in areas where breakage and replacment cost are not a huge factor. As you mentioned, 50 year old FE's are still ruling the SS classes. So much for out-dated.

Hey, it's all in good humor, Ford vs. Ford is not the name of the game. Just recognise that the FE has value in the right application. No engine is perfect for everything. You just have to pick what floats your boat.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I would say the overall design is way outdated. I agree in the right application an FE is Cool as Hell (Cobra Kit Car, Old Fairlane, Vintage racing) But man the numbers guys are turning with the newer 385 stuff !! 900-1200 N/A hp is not that uncommon. The FE's lack alot of whats required at these levels, Very Strong Blocks, Great Heads (FE Wedge Heads are from the 50's) Lets face it they are cool but outdated.

·
Registered
289 Posts
okay i was gonna stay out of this but, you should do some research alot of tech in a fe supposedly outdated is being used in modern day stuff. look at new chevy check out the firing order compared to a fe. skirted blocks belive mopar is still using that along with many others. ive also heard bore spacing is similar to other brands of motors. rumor has it the new hurricane motor is gonna use some of the outdated fe technology. blocks not strong enough, lol. maybe if it was a plain jane block youd be limited to around 500-600hp. get yourself a girddle or go with the outdated tech of crossbolting a block. if done right the skys the limit. i mean just look at 427 stuff, tons of performance items even from fomoco. now the problem lies in the age and abuse to parts = $$$$$ and limited use or hp levels. as stated above new blocks on the market look up pond or shelby's stuff or even genisis. as far as heads plenty of choices. now the 460 does have the cubes advantages, more aftermarket stuff( lower cost) fe's are getting bigger in cubes now that aftermarket blocks are avail along with stroker kits,500+ cubes easy. as far as fe's not pulling their weight, lol their pulling 7's. not bad for outdated tech(and i have a feeling there only gonna get faster) but when all said and done please stay with the 385 or whatever it is you prefer. i actually like the fe's being the outcast keeps the bolt on guys away. and leaves more parts for us guys that know how to build a fe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: westcoastgalaxie on 3/30/06 8:41am ]</font>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well here's my two cents. I was at a car show years ago and I parked near a 64 with a 460 single four real clean car nice installation worth checking out. Can't tell you how many people just took a quick look and walked away maybe 90%. Meanwhile back at my 427 dual quad 4 speed car there was a crowd around it all day. Now that's just car shows!!!!! For all practical purpouses his big 460 (514) would have put me on the trailer and sent me home if we were to race. My 427 was pushing over 500 horse but no match for 625 horse and torque to match. Suppose we both break, I'd bet the farm he could rebuild his for half the money it would take to rebuild mine. Now selling, well thats a home run for me. I sold mine for 30K he would be lucky to have anyone look at his for 15K. Finally what matters is what makes you happy! Looking for show appeal then FE stands out, looking to race then 385 is the way to go and for less money, want to sell your car FE wins as nostalgia always wins. JMO

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
If you run a FE just stay away from Tracy and his 65! He'll take her home!

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 385, but If I remember correctly, the 427 FE was a lot lighter. Biggest thing that always impressed me with the old 429 was 480 ft/lb stock on a 3.59 stroke...and rod length to stroke ratio was just a tad more than the 426 hemi, lots of torque/little sidethrust/rev it all day long...I recall reading years ago the 429 cj/scj had wristpins offset to help keep the rod angle even straighter on the power stroke...that might be commonplace nowadays, but back in 69 I think it was pretty unconventional. Too bad they weigh near 700 pounds though.
Ever see that magnesium boss429 Tasca ford built- now that would be cool

·
Registered
201 Posts
Boys, boys, boys. No need to argue! The answer is simple: have at least one of each! They're both Fords... so what more reason do you need!?

·
Registered
92 Posts
As far as an FE and a 385 going head to head, equal cubes equal car, I don't see that the 385 has that much of an advantage until you get up into the big inches and really high flowing induction systems. A 500 incher of each, in a 3500 lb car with 350 cfm intake and 200 cfm exhaust should be about the same really.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah but the thing is,an FE is a stroker kit plus a special block away while the 460 just needs a stroker kit to reach 500+ inches that plus the parts in general are cheaper.power wise equal inches and flow numbers should equal the same power

·
Registered
92 Posts
On 2006-03-31 12:37, bluelightning302 wrote:
yeah but the thing is,an FE is a stroker kit plus a special block away while the 460 just needs a stroker kit to reach 500+ inches that plus the parts in general are cheaper.power wise equal inches and flow numbers should equal the same power
Very true. You have to have the big bore to be up there equal, and if you are stroking even a stock 460 block 500 ci is a baby. When you get up to pistons, rods, heads, etc the two at the high end will be about the same in cost if you take the special FE block out of the picture.

See, I like and can see the virtues of both. I have been putting dirtball 390 block FEs together for many years and had to buzz them to 7500 to get what I want out of them. The extra cubes of a 460 would be nice, but I don't think I'll be able to buzz a stock rotating assembly up there like I can a 390. So, its still an open question for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts