Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used the FM 302 273CP pistons with the Scat 3.85" crank? If so did you experience any clearance problems between the piston skirts and the crank counterweights? Is there anything special to check for using this combo? This is just going to be a mild mannered torquer for my daily driver so I don't want to shell out the bucks for the KB hypers or a forged set. I am running the FM hypers in the 351W in my truck and have had no problems. Any info appreciated very much.
Thanks,
Kywookie

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
A friend of mine built a 393 with the scat crank for a hay truck, and they had to just grind down the skirts in order to get clearance. He said if he had to do it again, he'd use a different set of pistons. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this confirms other reports I have heard that it is necessary to grind on the skirts. What about the Keith Black KB364 piston? Is there a similar problem with it?
Thanks,
Kywookie

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ive used them in my 391W stroker. You have to remove the tiniest bit from the edge of the skirt in two places only. The change is less than one gram in weight and only takes seconds to do.
I refused to pay $750(Aussie) for the KB's. The Federal Mongrel hypereutectics were only $250 plus I get higher compression(10.7).

Pete.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts