Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have just received my AFR 185 heads for my stroker build. In the instructions from AFR, they recommend Fel-Pro 1011-1 Head Gaskets. When I look these up, the subject of "Brinelling" comes up. By this I assume it means dinting the alluminium head face by the steel wire in the gasket.
Is this something that should concern me? There is an 1011-2 version which has copper instead of steel. They say this doesn't cause "Brinelling". Is this a better option or should I take AFR's advice and go with the 1011-1?

Thanks Guys

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Use 1101-1 on alum heads.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I would use the copper ringed one , and a proper retorque the bolts/studs after a heat cycle

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I run the copper ring 1011-2's on my cast iron heads as recommended by World Products.

I just looked up the 1101-1 and it requires a receiver groove to be machined in the heads for a wire.
I'm not sure that is what you want but maybe it is.

Loc Wire Ring Head Gaskets
Fel-Pro Loc Wire gaskets are engineered to provide the best sealing available for severe applications. They have oversized wire rings that lock into receiver grooves which must be machined into the cylinder heads. Precise machining is critical to the success of these gaskets.

1101 is also listed for Chrysler engines.

You should do what AFR says to do.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Use the gaskets recommended by AFR. No matching work needed.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I would use the copper ringed one , and a proper retorque the bolts/studs after a heat cycle
I think this is what AFR told me when I called them. I got mine years ago and called them with the same question. I remember him telling me the hard wire caused way more problems than it fixes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts