Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill tell you what. If I had any warning at all I never wouldve touched the front fenders on my 65 gal. Now, Im learning the hard way and from experience that its not as simple as just putting them back on. Any advice on how to realign these fenders? Any websites? I know it takes shims but I dont know where to go from there. This is the only thing getting in the way of driving the car for the season. Everything else is fix as I drive it.
Damn, just realized I put this on the Garage on not on the tech forum. Oh well.

No matter how complicated something is or seems, always start with the simple basics then work your way to the rocket science !!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 5/29/06 6:44am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Well. I am here to save the day. (Actually this would have been best in the Galaxie forums) But anywho.

First thing to do is set the fender on and see how far off it is (making sure the inner tub is resting on top of the fender lip). If your rad. support has not been removed then this should be an easy job.(not no 5 minute job though)
Im going on the assumption that the rad support has not been messed with here, So read on with that thought..

Set the depth of the fender by the hinge (1/4 20 bolt). Get it to line up with the cowl and check the lines at the door to make sure they are right and also the gap between the door and fender is uniform..Use what ever washers you have to make it that hieght. Should only be one or 2 washers needed.
The front portion (rad support 2 bolts) "should not" need washers. The height of that is done at (under) the radiator support.

Install the bolt behind the door and the lower bolt (just in front of the door rocker area) and snug them all. Check all gaps and keep playing with it til your happy with it. You will be snugging and unsnugging a bunch of times to get it right. Do not think this will be a slap it on and go type of thing.

Just remember, The "main" shimming part is the bolt by the cowl. If you find that tightening up a bolt (the one you get with the door open for example) shifts the fender out of wack then insert a washer in there to take up the slack.
Install (snug) inner tubs last.
:note: this post is being done after a LONG day of body work in some serious heat. It should do you well though.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Will, I have read this and I follow it pretty good. You know, I have to check, but I am pretty sure I set the fender ON TOP of the inner wheel tub which would be the opposite of what you directed. That is most likely why I'm so high in the first place. I betcha I betcha!! Now I'm excited to get back to it. Shoot. I was thinking I would have to put shims all over the place! I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-05-29 01:31, v8shadow wrote:
Thanks Will, I have read this and I follow it pretty good. You know, I have to check, but I am pretty sure I set the fender ON TOP of the inner wheel tub which would be the opposite of what you directed. That is most likely why I'm so high in the first place. I betcha I betcha!! Now I'm excited to get back to it. Shoot. I was thinking I would have to put shims all over the place! I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Will, I'm done with the fenders but a few points. The fender definately attatches to the inner wheel well with the fender on top on the wheel well/wheel tub. I can see this because of where the nut plates are. Its like that on both sides. I got them on, but the very rear bottom fastener needs about 1/4" of shimming to keep the fender from being raised or bowing out from the body when tightened. I know its not right, but it will do for the season anyway. I put the side trim back on and you cant tell the fender's bottom rear corner goes below the body, and all the body lines or very close to straight. I still cant believe the fenders warp that much just from removing them. How do they do it on overhaulin'????!!!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 6/1/06 11:39am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
They use TONS of shimms on overhaulin.... That's how they do it....

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-05-31 20:30, v8shadow wrote:
Well Will, I'm done with the fenders but a few points. The fender definately attatches to the inner wheel well with the fender on top on the wheel well/wheel tub. I can see this because of where the nut plates are. Its like that on both sides. I got them on, but the very rear bottom fastener needs about 1/4" of shimming to keep the fender from being raised or bowing out from the body when tightened. I know its not right, but it will do for the season anyway. I put the side trim back on and you cant tell the fender's bottom rear corner goes below the body, and all the body lines or very close to straight. I still cant believe the fenders warp that much just from removing them. How do they do it on overhaulin'????!!!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 6/1/06 11:39am ]</font>
Humph.. I must have had a brain fart maybe? And sorry I forgot the lower bolt has a shim!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll tell ya, if those lower bolts had shims to begin with, I certainly dont remember them coming off. I dont think they did which is what is messing with me. If I do shim it though, it will still be lower on that area than it is supposed to be. Like I said, it is wrong, but looks ok enough for the season. Im realizing that a car body is not so much of a precision machined item but more of a bendable, and flexable puzzle. To get the fender's body lines to match up with the cars body lines I literally sat on the inner wheel well and bounced lightly a few times which put everything lower. With that premise, there are so many variables as to how to get everything to line up it honestly scares me. I picture getting my car all back together after a total restore and it looking like one of Picasso's paintings!! At any rate, since the fenders are going to come off AGAIN anyway sooner or later I guess this will do, since it is a work in progress. Im thinking for the future to maybe attatch it at the bottom (without shims) first then the rest semi-tight in whatever sequence is best. Then if the fender bows out, then maybe push the whole fender inward so the depth of the fender is right with the rest of the car. Worst thing about it is, no two cars are alike in this way I think. Even cars of the same year and model like ours, because the metal is flexed different ways. Now, if only someone would start making glass fenders for the 65......

No matter how complicated something is or seems, always start with the simple basics then work your way to the rocket science !!!
Me

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 6/2/06 12:25am ]</font>

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hey Ken,
I went out and took a close look at mine and the inner tub lip is definately setting on top of the outer fender lip. The j-nuts are fastened to the inner tub and the bolts go through the fender into the j-nuts. All you see after they are snugged up is the head of the fender bolts. I do not believe that my front end has ever been apart. If you think hard about it it makes sense that it is put together that way so that there is no joint visible. The fender lip just curls to the inside. this would be especially critical looks wise on cars with no wheel lip trim.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes that does make sense but now I most definately have a problem. I will return some more feedback after a bit of research. What would I do without this forum??
Ok, I have e mailed Russ Owens whom I consider to be the guru of Galaxies and how they came stock from the factory. He has had a lot of exposure to the 65-66 as well. Well see.

Me

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 6/3/06 12:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-06-02 09:10, v8shadow wrote:
Yes that does make sense but now I most definately have a problem. I will return some more feedback after a bit of research. What would I do without this forum??
Ok, I have e mailed Russ Owens whom I consider to be the guru of Galaxies and how they came stock from the factory. He has had a lot of exposure to the 65-66 as well. Well see.

Me

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 6/3/06 12:26am ]</font>

You dont know Chooch65 very well. He's the "Russ Owens" on Fordmuscle for 65's!!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
TY for the kind words, I only know so much though. Mostly what comes from being able to look at a "whole car" whenever there is a Question about something on the resto's.
I'll admit that I at least come up with another angle or thought and another set of eyes to look at things!

I think that what I learned from you Wil is a good thing for all of us to get in the habit of. That is ...take pictures before you take out the wrenches! That way you have something to go back and look at to refresh the memory banks!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I took pictures when I dissassembled and also have a rickety old video camera that needs a new battery that is nice for the garage. Thats the worst thing about this; I put it back the way I found it, and even that may be backwards. Both sides are the same as well. If it is backwards, then someone in the car's past even went through the trouble of moving the v-clips (what i call nut plates). That is kinda f***ed up ya know? Also, if I put the fender below the wheel tub then it will be even lower and that wont be good. I can see that I am most likely gonna have to take them off again and maybe tweak the wheel tubs up and bend the fenders in a little to compensate. Not to be insulted in the least though guys, I always get the majority consenses on things that really perplex me. Plus, I have the obvious character flaw of not settling for "good enough" I always have to get it "right" which might be a downfall for me with a 41 year old car. I appreciate y'all more than you'll ever know, and I will keep this thread posted on whatever I find and what I do next.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 6/3/06 8:34am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 6/3/06 8:40am ]</font>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts