Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help guys. I want to put in a 89' 5.0 engine into my 65' mustang and i dont want to have it be fuel injected. I want to know if i need to do any other mod's to the engine besides changing the intake manifold to a reg carb intake manifold. Since the 89 5.0 has an electronic distributor do i need to add some kind of computer in order to make the engine work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
all you need is a duraspark ignition system
and your golden,remember to use the 89 HO
firing order though

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
1-You will need to pull the late model dipstick and plug the hole
2-you will need to have your timeing cover drilled for the dipstick hole, the boss is there just needs to be drilled, angle is important
3-You will need to have your timeing cover machined to accept mechanical fuel pump if you choose to use one.
4-An optional choice is to use an early timing that already has the dipstick hole and is machined for the mechanical fuel pump.
5-You will need a front sump oil pan
6-You will need to change your oil pump pickup while you have your oil pan off, and install an early front sump pickup.

Now we run into a decision block. Do you want to go with the serpintine or go with the old style pullys? Are you going to run a 5 speed or a 4 speed? This matters and you will need to know that if you want to run a manual tranny with this block you will need the pivot ball that should go into the side of the engine block, but the late model blocks do not have this threaded hole in the block, and thus you need a pivot ball adapter for this aplication, I have one, E-mail me if you think you need it.

Early motor mounts will bolt to late block.

Let us know what plans you have with your stang. There are many more things you should know if you decide to go a with late tranny.

You must use the same balancer and flywheel or flexplate that comes with your late model motor, I cant remember if the old pullys will work with the late model balancer, but I think they do.

There might be a few things I missed but the guys ar sure to make sure you know what you are getting into, and its a good thing

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The dipstick goes into what would be the rear sump of a late model oilpan, you cant put the dipstick in this position because there is no sump for it to go into, the dipstick will not go in all the way, and there is nothing the measure because the sump will be in the front of the motor in an early stang.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Yes easier, but there are advatanges to running the early cover, the timing pointer I think is a cleaner look from the late model, which you can use with out spacers, also the seal goes in from the front on the late model cover, the seal goes in from the back on the early cover, so if the seal is wacked all you have to remove is the balancer to change the front seal on the late cover. But physically they are the same except that the late model cover is thicker at the bottom, which means it requires longer bolts is all. But if OG65stang decides go with the late model serpentine, I think he would be better off with getting the late model cover setup for the job, then he could keep the cover that was meant for the reverse rotation water pump.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
One more thing before I forget, you will need to run a duraspark distributor from an 85 Mustang GT, it is ready to go with the right dist gear and would be easy to make work in your stang with the duraspark box.

If you do this I highly recommend a MSD for the application with a MSD box, super simple and the box just plugs into the dist. real clean and you have real power potential with an MSD. What ever you decide make sure you get the steel gear on that dist. to match up with the roller cam.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
If you use the late model block and want to keep your V belt setup you need a new crank pulley. Mark has them for $120 or something. The old ones are 3 bolt and the new 4, or the other way around, also the offset is different. If you are running an auto you need a special flexplate that is $150 too. The cost of the little things really add up.
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts