Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
can anyone refer me to a webpage or any information on getting a fiberglass hood to fit properly? I'm having trouble finding anything. My new hood needs a lot of work to look halfway decent. If it were just sanding I would be ok, but there are areas to be filled, reshaped, and that sort of thing
thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is your hood a bolt on with hinges or a lift off model with pins or dzus fasteners?
If its a model that uses the stock hinges, throw the the hinge springs away or the tension of opening and closing the hood with the springs will cause the fiberglass hood to crack...might not happen right away but it WILL crack eventually. Also make sure your latch tension is not too high putting too much tension on the rubber hood bumpers or it will cause cracks as well. Take some measurements of your old hood and transfer them to the glass hood. Use a air powered small body shop grinder or DA sander to remove the excess material from the edges of the glass hood to meet your basic dimensions. You can use body filler to fill any pits on the edges of the hood material.
From there...sand the entire hood with 120 grit on a DA, use a top quality 2 part high build primer surfacer and start sanding, using a black guide coat, and 180 grit on a board file and block. That will show up any waves or imperfections in the surface. Keep repeating the process using finer grits of paper till the hood is perfectly smooth. DONOT use any lacquer based glazing putty for filling imperfections...use polyester filler only. And you thought it was just bolt on and spray color? Good Luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, I'll go shopping for those materials tomorrow.
The front corners, where they curve downward a little, it isnt quite steep enough of a curve to match the fender. It looks like sanding it down to match will make it too thin, do I need to lay fiberglass below it or would some other filler work just as well? Is there another way of reshaping or bending it?

Matt

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You say no lacquer based putty....does it not stick or does it cause a problem with the gel coat? just curious here since I will be working on some fiber glass parts before long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just following up on the other post regarding the lacquer based putty. If you use the lacquer based putty, especially in any amounts larger than maybe filling a surface scratch, you will most likely see it lift and move under your final paint. THis is because it is lacquer based, and will continue to "breathe" and never really sets up. The two part stuff gets hard and sets up and won't shrink on you in the future.
Always use in moderation though....

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
thx..i knew it would shrink, but didn't realize the other things you mentioned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can use fiberglass resin and cloth to build up or repair the edges of the hood...or you can use heavy strand fillers like Dyna Glass or Gorilla Hair or Rat Hair, and then finish off the rough stuff with regular body filler. Caution though, the heavy strand fillers get hard as a rock when cured and are not easy to sand by hand.Lacquer spot putty used to be the industry standard at one time, and was more abused than body filler ever was. Nasty stuff
that long term would swell and shrink and ruined lots of really nice paint work (speaking from experience)!

·
Registered
249 Posts
On 2002-05-23 18:06, sleeper67 wrote:
hey guys,
can anyone refer me to a webpage or any information on getting a fiberglass hood to fit properly? I'm having trouble finding anything. My new hood needs a lot of work to look halfway decent. If it were just sanding I would be ok, but there are areas to be filled, reshaped, and that sort of thing
thanks,
Matt
Who made the hood? Just so I stay clear, I'll be in the market for a hood in a few weeks........

thx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts