Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some photos of my newly purchased 66. The car had sat in a field for at least a dozen years. We took it apart and cleaned up the engine because we needed to know if there are any issues.

The gas tank had mice that had turned into chunks of tarred goo. The entire fuel system had a tarred like tinge from sitting so long. So that all was cleaned.

The coolant in the engine passages, sitting for so many years, had turned into a black foam.

After a few months of hard work, an electrolysis dip tank, lots of sand blasting and a makeshift torpedo oven, and some paint, the engine is clean and run smooth.

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
Looks much better. Should of cleaned up the engine bay since you had the engine out anyway. Power washer and spray cleaner or something would of worked. Not be spotless but less time and elbow grease though. But a big difference in before and after for sure!!!

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Looks much better. Should of cleaned up the engine bay since you had the engine out anyway. Power washer and spray cleaner or something would of worked. Not be spotless but less time and elbow grease though. But a big difference in before and after for sure!!!
thats what i was thinking too..:)

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Nice looking motor!
Be sure to take a mallet and tap around the frame bottom...hope it's fine, but these years were pretty notorious for filling with road grime and rotting from the inside. Tapping on the side rail bottoms behind the front wheels, the torque boxes, and the front of the rear arches will tell if there's anything to take care of before it gets ugly. Hopefully it's all good.
The 66 is really a pretty body style, saw a convertible today, hard not to like them, those big square taillights and those on the 69 galaxies were my personal favorites...

Click on the link under my sig if you want to see a ugly frame...ours was the rustiest thing I've ever touched.

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
thats what i was thinking too..:)
This coming from me who has a filthy engine bay and engine now but used to be all clean. Glad i took pics for proof! :)

As the Editor of Old Cars calendars told me a couple years ago:

"cars filled with garbage and sporting oily engines. These are not attributes of drivers, but rather cars owned by lazy slobs who take no pride in how their vehicle appears. What's interesting about that?" LOL

I'd rather enjoy my car than hate the dirt and oil and spend all my time cleaning! :) But it started out unlazy slob-like! Then i drove it and love it. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts