Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a original 1962 Ford Galaxie 500, I plan to use Fatman drop spindles and Wilwood disc brake conversion front and back, I am planning on using Torq Thrust wheels 18x9 front, 20x10 back, does anyone have any recommendations for backspacing or offset, and tire size?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I have a original 1962 Ford Galaxie 500, I plan to use Fatman drop spindles and Wilwood disc brake conversion front and back, I am planning on using Torq Thrust wheels 18x9 front, 20x10 back, does anyone have any recommendations for backspacing or offset, and tire size?
IMHO, I think you are in trouble with that plan. On my 63 I just put new wheels and tires on months ago. On my Gal I just wanted the old school look. -- I had 17 inch wheels before. The new wheels are 15 inch American Racing Torq Thrust D wheels 5X4.5 bolt pattern. The front wheels are 7 inch wide, the rear wheels 8 inch wide. The front are 3.76 backspacing, rear 4.5 inch backspacing. With the tires size I chose my rear clearance from the fender lip and also from the spring is only about 1/2 inch each side. When you use 10 inch wide wheels, no matter what your back spacing/offset, you will need really narrow tires without shortening the rear axle?????

·
Registered
178 Posts
I’m not sure if the 62 is different but I’m running 18 x 9 with 5” backspace on the front of my 63. It has the dropemstopem spindles with wilwood brakes. On the rear I have 19 x 11 wheels with 6.875” backspace. But I am also running the ride tech 4 link which allows about an extra inch of wheel width. I’m not sure if any of this helps. Check out fakesnake on the site I think his is a pre63 with larger wheels.

here’s a picture of mine http://instagr.am/p/CEMOo_VpFyT/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the info, very impressive with the coyote swap! Dropemstopem must be out of business, can not find them on the net.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to drop the rear of my 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 with lowering blocks, what is the diameter of the original axle housing and what brand of lowering blocks would you recommend?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts