Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One step closer to an unpolluted gene pool/corral!!! Well for those of you who have been here a while I finally sold one of the non fords that was in the driveway. I sold my sons 84 Fiero on EBAY!!!! now all I have to pollute the gene pool is my 1500 Ram which I will keep and my sunbeam Alpine which is getting a built 302 transplant so it doesn't count!

Guy got a heck of a deal... I had $3000 invested and he bought it for $1125 but it needed tranny work.

Say Bye Bye......

Keith/Bumble

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
I almost bought a new fiero when they first came out... they were cute little cars- till they caught on fire:)

soooo thankful that I didnt buy that thing, boy would that have been a huge waste of 11,000.00

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey 429.... Wanna know why they caught on fire? the 2.5 "Iron Duke" 4 banger they had in em had crap connecting rods. If the oil got even a teency bit low (read 1/2 quart) it would sling a rod through the side of the block and spray hot oil all over the exhaust manifold. There was a bulletin that GM put out over this and rather than saying the car had an issue they blamed the fires on.... get this... ready?..... wait for it...THE CUSTOMER!!!!!! obviously it was a lack of maintenance because the customer let the engine consume a little oil. Their recall fix was a STELLAR advancement in engineering.... they bolted a piece of sheet metal between the block and the exhaust manifold so the manifold wouldn't get the oil all over it...... Big Blue did something similar with the pinto and the rear end hits.Their solution was a plastic panel between the gas tank and the differential. Come to think of it I still have one of those NOS up in the shed (the plastic recall repair shield for the pinto)

Interesting what we collect over the years.

Keith/Bumble

·
Administrator
21,889 Posts
Didn't one or two years also have wiring issues and burn up? My friends sure did, don't remember the year of the car now though. Somewhere on this puter a pic exists. Wasn't the same as you just sold though i don't think. Congrats on the extra space!! Those cars don't even make good storage sheds...too small!!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I drove my friends! It was like a go kart! Fun!

·
Registered
387 Posts
On Craigs List, I saw a Fiero cut in half with a motorcycle frame, with seat, and front end built onto it.

Strange !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
After hearing about those fire issues now, Im very glad i sold my CJ-5 jeep that had a factory Iron Duke 4 banger. It was gutless, but it would crawl anywhere with a smile on its face.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Didn't some of those piles of feces have V6's? An old girlfriend's sister had a Fiero. I didn't know much about them but it didn't sound anything like a 4 cylinder; and it had twice pipes.

There's a guy out by my current girlfriends' house who's got a junkyard FULL of Fiero's. Every time I drive by I have to shake my head and wonder "why". But then I always think to myself-man I drive a Maverick. Not much difference there. To each his own I guess. LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts