Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have my books handy but I know the seat does not have to be bolted to the bar/cage, it just has to be close enough to keep it from going back very far. As for the crossbar, if it's a 6/8 point roll bar you need not cross brace it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The answer on the seat is yes, it has to be bolted to the crossbar. Drill a large hole in the front layer of the seat, and the bolt hale in the back layer. That way you have access. For locating purposes weld an "L" bracket to the crossbar with 2 holes and line up the seat on those. You will also need some bracket welded on the crossbar for you harness to wrap around. This is to prevent the harness sliding side to side. The hoop when installed must be within 5 inches of the back of your head, and the halo (or loop) must be 3 inches above your head. Depending on seat location, that pretty much establishes where the hoop will go. Cell can go in the well. Battery hold downs have to thru the frame rails. (I used 3/8 inch rod stock with a Nyloc on the bottom, nut and lock washer on top....)I was told by the NHRA tech who certified mine, that Jan. 1 of next year an "X" brace (between the bars going to the rear)will become a requirement on 9.99 and quicker. If your there might as well put them in...Lastly, if this is a hatchback, you do need a divider between the trunk area and passenger area that is sealed so no fuel can get into the passenger compartment.

Ron

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chilly. It also depends on how BIG a track you run at. All of the tracks around here, if it's secure, (i.e. big enough bolts holding stuff down, with good reinforcement washers ,etc), you're good to go.
My car's back halfed, and the battery box/frame is bolted to the floor of the rear area. No frame under it. It's solid enough it ain't going nowhere, but it for sure is NOT bolted to a frame. Passes tech every time.
I've never heard (from any of the tracks I run at), about the seat being have to be attached to the crossbar. No one's ever mentioned that to me.
(that'd kinda suck if you have an adjustable seat mount,huh?)

Only thing I've been pinched with as of late is , my not having a nuetral switch for the trans. (soon to be installed).........

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Chilly, I think Dragstang is right about the size of the track being more picky with the tech inspect?

The track I mostly race at (Great Lakes) is real picky with all the tech stuff.

I know they check for a solid seat mount on the back of the seats.

It can be adjustable but you have to use bolts and not pins for the adjustment.

Here is a picture of what I have on the Falcon.

It's not the greatest picture of it but you get the idea.

I can move the seat back or forward about 6 inches with this set up.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That seems odd. I just got back from the Texas Motorplex, NHRA Nat evevt track, no seat bolted to the rear bar. Was tols if it was within 2" it was ok. Got a Super Comp car. Is there something that I wasn't told?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yep, the seat has to be hard mounted to the bar. The side bar must pass between the shoulder and the elbow. My battery box is mounted to the rear floor area in the hatch. I used 6 3/8's bolts through the floor.
BTW HO Fibertrends makes a cowl hood for the Capri. I have their hood on my 85 Mustang and must say that it has the best fit and finish of any hood that I've seen. No pin holes to fill. We just had to scuff the gel coat to prime and paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts