Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
351W- performer RPM heads(2.02/1.60 valves)
10.5:1 compression (probably keith black hypers)
hooker 6208 with 1 3/4 tubes
Looking for feedback on cam and intake...I'm hoping to make around 450 hp.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you want 450 + hp, stroke it and upgrade the heads to vic jrs. or similar. Intake vic jr., cam 230 + dur. This will easily meet the power you are looking for.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm on a tight budget so the stroker and bigger heads are out for now.I'm not looking for 450 + horsepower just close to that number.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
im using rpm heads,10.3-1,airgap rpm manifold and comp xe274h cam,edel 750 carb.for a 351 it makes decent power with plenty of torque.all i need now is a 5 speed.if its in the budget a roller cam would be a better choice.you should be able to make 400+hp no problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Several here are running 351W's, many w/ similar set-ups. Combo is in my sig. Makes good power and pulls cleanly to 6300+.
Don't know if you've laid the money down for the Hookers yet, but you might want to talk to Stan @ FPA, first. Hooker Super Comps are good headers (had 'em, myself), but FPA's headers just plain FIT. Made to order, excellent workmanship, fully TIG'd, no ground clearance issues...and did I mention they FIT? Scraping collectors gets old after a while. Stan lists a specific 351W header for your car. Can be had w/ 1 3/4" tubes, or 1 5/8"x1 3/4" stepped...depending on your heads. Chrome is standard, w/ ceramic as an option. They're not cheap, but if you're looking at Hookers, you're past that already. Anyway.. just a thought. Can't hurt to talk to him:

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/Headers.htm

Kevin

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
STEHARZ, we have very similiar setups. What do you run in the 1/4?

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
havent got it to the track yet,im in the middle of ditching the stock borgwarner diff with 2.92 gears and installing a 9inch,going to be starting with 3.55 gears,detroit locker and going from there,will post times when i do run it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I like my Vic Jr intake. I had my cam custom ground.
You can make 400 hp easy.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Questions for you, realistly what is your intented use and goal for the car? How much do you want to send? Any other mods down the line you're that are going along with this in the drivetrain department?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dacofa the car is basically a toy.I drive it on weekends and occasionally through the week if the weather is nice..I get to the strip now and then and would like the car to be pretty quick(low 12s).The toploader and 4.11 rear will stay with the car for now.My next upgrade will be to swap in an overdrive trans so I can drive the car a little more.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Take the heads and clean them up a little for flow. Probably get a few HP there. Ignition, ACCEL with Super coil. Cam Retrofit Compcams Hydroller # 35-452-8, [email protected]" with .544" lift=2500-6000 rpm range. Edlebrock RPM Air-gap/Weiand Stealth with 750 Holley Street Avenger carb. Good oil pan and windage tray. Stock oilpump

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
STAY AWAY from the retrofit HR's. They have severely reduced base circles and just don't work as advertised. To go HR the right way means boning out $400 for a set of Crane link-bar lifters.

Have you already purchased the heads? If not, you will be far better off waiting until you can afford something better. Another $100 will get you Victor Jr (or AFR 185's) and a stroker crank. Remember, all you need to go 393 ci is the stroker crank (which can be bought for around $400) stock length 351W rods and 302 pistons.

However, your existing criteria CAN be built into a FUN combo. Just don't get hung up on certain numbers. Put a WELL MATCHED combination together and have fun with it. As for well matched using those heads, cubes, etc...

Double Pumper carb
Air-Gap or RPM intake
Cam measuring around 230-240 @ 0.050" on the intake with a 110 degree lobe seperation.
1-3/4" headers (Accufab, FPA, Hooker) with big pipe and good muffs.

If you stray very far away from this recipe, you'll have a mismatched engine that doesn't work really RIGHT anywhere. You pick the heads, and basically match things up from there.

Are you set on which type of cam you want? Hyduaulic, Solid? If you want to go solid, Comp has some nice Xtreme Energy Solid Flat Tappet lobes that would work well.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Mike I already have the heads.I've seen some 302 stroker buildups cranking out over 400 hp with these heads out of the box so I think they should be adequate for my needs...I"m pretty much open to whatever cam will work the best but don't have the cash right now for a roller conversion...There are plenty of very similar 351 combo's around but no hp or ET numbers to compare...Theoretically it only takes about 400 hp to run a 12 flat in the 1/4 with my wieght.If I could dip into the 11s that would be awesome but I don't ever plan on putting a cage in the car so I'm just looking for a little hp cushion to run that 12.0 or 11.99 without a perfectly set up drag car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts