Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished all the bodywork on my 1963 fairlane, and painted the car basecoat clearcoat black. I used ppg paints. The paint laid out pretty well, and I was very liberal with the clearcoat, there are 4-5 full coats on the car. I have wet sanded the whole car with 1500 to remove imperfections and orange peel. I have never buffed a car before, and im wondering if anyone could suggest a compound and a buffing pad that will give me a good finish. Any additional advice on finishing up the paint job would be very appreciated, spring is almost here! thanks -joe

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I use "Maguiars" ... "Diamond Cut" for initial buffing.

Then move to "Maguiars" ... "Swirl Free" for polishing.

They even have one finer than swirl free if you feel a need.

Power buffers are great if you know how to use one ... need to be very careful to not burn through ... especially on edges and corners.

I've done with power and by hand ... by hand is safer (on the problem front) but more difficult to get the same "Sheen" going on.

Good luck

Oh ... your Black is very unforgiving ... Black looks super but harder to get it looking just right ... Good luck again

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 3/5/02 4:56am ]</font>

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you've wet sanded with 1500 you need to get it buffed as soon as possible. As the clear gets harder it becomes more and more difficult to get it to shine again, and requires more work as well.

I'm assuming you used a urethane like the "concept" line from PPG. Optimal time to cut and buff is typically 16 to 24 hours from when it was cleared.

You will absolutely need a rotary buffer, hand polishing doesn't build enough heat, neither do the orbital buffers. A variable speed one is the best, borrow one if you have to!

Meguire's makes a good foam cutting pad that works great. You can then follow that up with their foam polishing pad.

Meguires #2 fine-cut cleaner would be my first choice, then follow it up with #9 swirl remover.

If that doesn't seem to be doing the trick get some 3M super duty compound but be carefull and start with the rpms low. Then follow it up with the #2 and #9.

Tape all your edges with masking tape to keep from burning any edges. Sounds like you have a lot of clear so hopefully you won't go through anywhere!

Don't use any glazes or petroleum products, they will make it look like you did a good job buffing, but in a couple weeks you'll realize you should have done a little more polishing with the compounds....

Nothing like a new shiny paint job!
Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts