Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Great write up, and accurate. Having spent my prof life on ships and going to Damage Control/fire fighting training and courses it brings back a lot of good memories. I used to ask my crew when in the middle of the ocean and a fire breaks out, who you gonna call - guess what, you ARE the 911.

I am sure I am not the only one who welds in thier garage alone, its a necessity, a 5 and 6 yr old dont make a good fire watch and the wife cant stand the smell.

I have been careless once or twice and noticed that different smell to find a piece of paper inginted etc (my speaker). So yes, be careful.

You may have mentioned it, and I missed it, but if you have someone watching you weld, they should always have the same protection the welder does, mask, gloves etc for thier safety, eye protection etc. When done welding, I always wait 30 minutes before I leave the shop, that was the accepted standard for the fire watches on the ship after hot work is complete.
Also, grinding, welding - one in the same for fire hazards.

Someone mentioned Purple K, that was phased out of the services and fire fighters years ago, its caustic and you dont want to put that on anything electrical. If the fire dont ruin the electrical stuff, the Purple K will.

good stuff, thanks!

21 - 21 of 21 Posts