Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade the clutch cable and quadrant in my 85. I am leaning more toward a firewall adjustable cable than the kind that is adjustable at the clutch fork. I read in Car Craft that the firewall ajustable kind is stronger. I am thinking of going with the one made by Forte's or perhaps BBK. Are all of these pretty much created equal or does the quality of these change depending upon manufacturor? What are you guys using?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the Steeda set-up in my '88 Mustang. It is adjustable at both the firewall and near the bellhousing. I have had it about a year now and am very happy with the quality.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Forte's kit, which I am using, comes with a firewall adjuster and one piece quadrant. It is designed to work with the stock clutch cable. This is said to be stronger due to the factory method of attaching the "ball" on the ends of the cable. It is quite nice to just reach beside the brake booster and adjust the clutch engagement height, rather than getting beneath the car. Mind you, once you set it, you could go for a spell without needing to adjust it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used a Ford SVO quadrant and cable. The metal quadrant was fine, but I'd rather have the firewall adjuster. I ran out of adjustment on the cable end and had to make a spacer out of a drilled 3/8" acorn nut (worked great- also helped to allow access to that locknut-those who have tried to get a wrench on that locknut while holding a wrench on the adjuster nut will know what I am talking about). Also, the grommet thing at the firewall is getting deformed from the pressure, so if you have a chance to improve that part with an adjustable one, I'd go for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts